Is this more dub-speak?

by Amha·’aret 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

I think it depends on the person. My Dad says the same thing. But, it is honestly the real deal and not dub talk. I mean think about it, this religion has been a giant part in people's lives. Some people would be scared not having the witnesses telling them what to do. I love the part in Shawshank redemption when RED is talking about being institutionalized.

Even if a person is not the greatest witness, that can almost be worse. The don't have a great deal of knowledge, but have always been told you need to be a witness to be "saved". A person will do tons of "sinning", but still have that hope of becoming a good witness so they wont be killed on D-day.

I remember when I first started having doubts. I would always read on here that it was a cult. I would laugh and say these people are just crazy and dont know what they are talking about. The more I look with a clearer mind, the more I see a cult. It may not be the Jim Jones group, but it is definatly has cult tactics. Just as you were trying to talk to her about the blood issue, she literally covered her hears. Thats the ORG comming out.

Just as when you were a DUB and prayed that people would come to their senses and do better in the ORG, you have to just hope she will come to her senses and realize the TRUTH.

My dads big hold up is that there is no other religion to go to. I have yet figured out a way to get him to realize, he doesn't need another place to go to.

You should probly take your own suggestion and go easy with her. Just make comments here and there that are not nessicarly targeting the witnesses. You never know when something might get passed the organization wall.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If my Mother now asks me why I have taken a particular view (or anybody else) Isay I found out for myself and SO CAN YOU. Otherwise they just start trying to shoot down what you tell them.

HB

• yknot
    yknot

I have heard this more and more since 2007....

It is not entirely dubbish either.... all depends on the JW.

Why not ask her what is doctrinally important to her and why?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Very well put Hamsterbait. A more blunt answer would be "Do your own research" and if that doesn't work, "Die in your ignorance".

• I quit!
    I quit!

"Where are we to go" How about any place but here. I've heard the "if I could find something better" routine before and my answer has been it isn't about finding something better. It about truth and if you find out the WT isn't teaching it then it is time to move on. Something better isn't going to knock on the KH door ask to speak to you. You need to get out there on the highway and look for it. And that can be fun. The problem is that Witnesses are afraid lose the false sense of security the WT gives them by doing all of their thinking for them. Remember the KH is a place where they ask you a question and then have you underline the answer they want you to give.

As far as recommending another religion I would tell someone just leaving the WT to read up on other beliefs and non beliefs. I think it is something you have to figure out for yourself. Every journey begins with the first step and the first step should begin at the KH door.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

"If you can find something better" means, if you can find another, better organization that

• Uses the name "Jehovah"
    • Preaches from door to door
    • Refuses to go into the military
    • Doesn't celebrate "pagan" holidays
    • Doesn't teach "pagan" doctrines like the immortality of the soul or Trinity
    • Etc, etc, etc.

Get the picture?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Any religious people out there who can recommend a religion?!?

LOL. I'm sorry, but that question struck me as funny. It's like asking someone's recommendation for a new car. Everyone, religious or not, will think their faith (or lack of it) is the sensible way to go.

But still, good luck with your sister. As long as she's willing to talk to you about religion, you have a chance of reawakening her capacity to think for herself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit