old riddles

by John Doe 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

:If the boys switch horses they will both race to the finish line thus not taking forever and the last horse that crosses wins.

One boy has to be smarter than the other one, since the challenge was "the boy whose HORSE crossed the finish line last", not the boy on the horse, whatever horse it might be. The smart boy oh the dumb boys horse would try to "win" on the wrong horse, while the dumb boy on the right horse would try to "lose" on the smart boy's horse.

When a salesman of mine went to New Orleans on a business trip, a little boy came up with a shoeshine box at the airport and asked if he could shine the salesman's shoes. The guy said no. The boy said, "I don't know you or where you are from (we were from San Diego), but I'll bet you five dollars I can tell you where you got your shoes. I'll even bet you I can tell you the city and the state where you got your shoes."

My salesman took the bet. And lost. How did the kid do it?

Farkel

• sir82
    sir82

A man walks one mile to the south, turns, then walks one mile to the east. Then he turns, and walks one mile to the north.

He ends up standing on the exact spot he started from.

Describe all points on earth from where this is possible.

• John Doe
    John Doe

north pole?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would say north and south poles.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

You can't go south from the south pole.

• sir82
    sir82

North pole is indeed one of the answers.

Sorry, south pole is not - how do you walk one mile south from the south pole?

There are plenty more answers though!

Hint: It might help if you looked at a globe. Or even got a ball and pretended it was a globe.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oops!

Sylvia

• logic
    logic

on the match sticks, pick up one, light it, then set all the others on fire, let all burn up, result 0.

• Farkel
    Farkel

logic,

Cute. No cigar.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

John Doe,

Spoiler:

XXIII / VII = II

If you take a I from XXXIII and turn it sideways and place it over the II on the right of the equals sign you get:

XXII / VII = TT or pi, or 22/7, the ratio of the diameter to the circumference of a circle.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit