EASTER: It's in the Bible!

by cameo-d 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Acts 12:4

King James Version

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2012:4;&version=9 ;

Makes you wonder how much else has been changed and manipulated for self-serving purposes, doesn't it?

• hubert
    hubert

That's very interesting.

I looked up "Easter" in the dictionary, and it says...."an annual Christian festival in the spring celebrating the resurrection of Jesus"....

I then looked up "Passover" which the Watchtower uses in place of Easter in Acts 12:4, in the dictionary, and it says...."Jewish holiday commemorating the deliverance of the ancient Hebrews from slavery in Egypt".

Now, we all know that the Watchtower always quotes the dictionary to verify their definitions, so how can they "verify" this complete change in definition with two totally different subjects?

Hubert

editted to add: I found a scripture that the Watchtower uses to justify their change. It's 1Corinthians:7 which reads (in both the NWT and KJV)..."For, indeed, Christ our passover has been sacrificed."

So, I guess with this scripture they were able to remove and change "Easter" in Acts12:4.

CORRECTION.....1Corinthians:7 should read "1Corinthians 5:7" Sorry about the error.

• Watkins
    Watkins

No, 'Easter' is NOT in the Bible. The word translated as Easter at Acts 12:4 is 'paska' = Passover. The KJV is in the wrong. The NIV correctly translates it as Passover too. Check out all the other translations on Biblegateway.

"Makes you wonder how much else has been changed and manipulated for self-serving purposes, doesn't it?" Indeed! It's religion - it's what we've come to expect from them all - disingenuousness.

Peace

Watkins

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The word translated as Easter at Acts 12:4 is 'paska' = Passover.

The word Paska has a different meaning for me. I grew up on this stuff.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

No, 'Easter' is NOT in the Bible.

Watkins, in true JW style, you are confronting the obvious right in front of your face and still denying it.

Yes, the word Easter IS, INDEED, written in the King James Bible.

The KJV is in the wrong.

Most translators find difficulty in interpreting the exact word until they see who is signing the biggest check.

• Watkins
    Watkins

LMAO! I haven't been in "JW style" for 10 years, dear. Yes, it is written in the KJV - my point is that it is mistakenly translated. The original Greek word translated 'Easter' is in reality, paska=passover - it never ever has meant 'Easter'. Please check out the other Bible versions on Biblegateway - who cares what the NWT says, I don't use that mess.

LOL - I am not a WT apologist - that is too funny - and at the same time a bit offensive.

But I forgive easily

Watkins

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Just goes to show how much confusion transcription errors in the Bible have caused. Some of these scriptures were written years, or decades, after the events took place and memory errors are certain. This is the major reason Jesus' teachings are not as clear as broad daylight.

On top of that, the monks that copied and re-copied the Bible made stupid mistakes as well as alterations because their masters ordered them to tamper with the Bible. All of which makes the authenticity of the whole Bible sound like a farce--anyone that claims the Bible is infallible and was protected by Unholy Spirit ought to read it for this kind of confusion.

I see no reason to not celebrate Easter, whether or not it is in the Bible. Religious people can observe Christ's resurrection and the presentation of the value of his death as a sacrifice (notably, his death itself was not what cancelled sin, but his resurrection and presentation of the value of that death). People that do not believe in Original Sin (or even in God or Jesus) can still observe the day as an attempt to set mankind free from Jehovah and the Mosaic Law. You can even celebrate it as a fun holiday, where you have Easter egg hunts and a time to visit relatives and friends to enjoy it.

I have been seeing a trend toward gift-giving around Easter, too--though not as pronounced as Christmas. Children usually like getting fun items that are appropriate for them (but do not worry about those one-in-a-zillion risks that seem to be killing childhood these days). Get them stuff that they will have fun with, but bear in mind the economy and do not buy beyond your means.

About the only thing I do not recommend is wasting the time and energy going to the REJECT Jesus Party at the Kingdumb Hell. If you want to reject Jesus, you can do that without wasting the time. If you want to honor him, you can do it at home or at a regular church of your choosing.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Unicorns are in the KJV too, but that's also a mistranslation.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I see no reason to not celebrate Easter, whether or not it is in the Bible.

I am not defending Easter.

My point in all this is....how long has KJV bible been around?

How many reprints has it gone through?

How long have scholars known this?

Was it mistranslated purposely to put forth a doctrinal agenda?

Why is it just now being revealed?

I think I know. It seems that many churches are beginning to change their doctrines about a lot of things.

You all already know that xmas has become a great controversy over the past decade or so.

Well, Easter is in that mix of "paganism" that the churches are now starting to admit.

The Un is slowly putting forth the changes and steps necessary to focus on similarities instead of differences in order to stop all the religious bickering.

I think this is why doctrines are toning down their differences and "waywardness".

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Hold on-Easter is THE passover to end all other passovers! Jesus is the passover Lamb of God.

So any name is fine IMHO. If you want to call Jesus up and call Him "Son of Man" that is fine. "Yeshua" is fine too. "Mighty God" is cool. "Immanuel-God with us" is most excellent!

John 1

Call easter what you like, passover if you prefer the old skool vibe, easter if you prefer chocolate eggs.

Just make sure Jesus' blood is sprinkled on your door.

Exodus 12:23

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit