an overt case of racism

by John Doe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
  • Nellie
    Nellie

As it should! But considering the fact that it happened in 1934, we have to just relax, release and breathe . . .

• apocryphal22
    apocryphal22

This one is also bad:

dna_evidence_frees_man

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, Nellie, those were the days when the White man sat in the catbird seat.

However, even then, there were some who said, "Enough already!"

I lived through some of those days, and believe me, it was hard!

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    However, even then, there were some who said, "Enough already!"
    Writing for the majority, Chief Justice Hughes rejected both arguments advanced by the Mississippi Supreme Court. With regard to the state's first contention, that federal courts had no jurisdiction in state criminal proceedings, Hughes responded that "the freedom of the state in establishing its policy is the freedom of constitutional government and is limited by due process of law." Hughes also noted the special circumstances of this case with bitinglanguage: "Because a state may dispense with a jury trial, it does not followthat it may substitute trial by ordeal. The rack and torture chamber may notbe substituted for the witness stand." Hughes did not refute the right of states to ignore constitutional provisions against self-incrimination in theircriminal procedures. The Court then dismissed the state's second contention,that an error by counsel had resulted in the failure to exclude the confessions from the trial. "It is a contention that proceeds upon a misconception ofthe nature of the petitioners' complaint. That complaint is not of the commission of mere error, but of a wrong so fundamental that it made the whole proceeding a mere pretense of a trial and rendered the conviction and sentence null and void."

I think there were more than some Sylivia. In fact, I would posit that a majority of people never supported such barbaric and outrageous techniques.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to completely eliminate confessions as a basis for conviction. If you want to see why, view this clip and note the mind control techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCyKnc1BVV8

• snowbird
    snowbird

One in particular who comes to mind is Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr.

During the years of 1965-67, I used to pray for him every night, and every morning I turned on our little battery-powered radio to see if he'd been assassinated.

No lie. Go ahead, google his name.

Sylvia

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Mississippi............hmmmm.....

• John Doe
    John Doe

Bizzybee, are you going to make me pull some cases to embarass your state? Beleive me, atrocities have happened everywhere.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I live in Jackson, MS.

I'll quote Medgar Evers.

"I don't know if I'm going to heaven or to hell, but I'm going from Jackson."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit