10 Deeper Challenges To Watchtower Theology

by Spook 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spook
    Spook

With JW's, this is the way it works:

1. The exegesis and theology is grossly simplified and completely surface/superficial reading of the texts.

2. The complicated part is the doctrine built on top of it, usually constructed in a bizarre web from disparate parts of the texts.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Spook,

I would put it in reverse order. Doctrine actually comes first (to the "student," in the innocent form of questions calling for the "right" answer). Then prooftexts (usually single verses out of context). Then "apparently contrary" texts to be explained away through selective consideration of context, "scholarly" quotes (usually out of context too) and appeal to consistency and reason (is it reasonable to think...?).

I would say the closest structure in mainstream church practice is that of catechism.

If JWs did start with even "superficial" but cursory reading of the Bible, the whole construction would be impossible imo. Indoctrination is set up first before the average JW or student begins to read the Bible (if he ever does) -- in this trajectory a common reaction is: the Bible is sooo difficult! I would never understand it without WT literature...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My point was only about the notion of time and eternity which I think they share to an extent, which is different from the earlier concept of eternity as opposed to time.

A lot of theological issues and inconsistencies cleared up in my mind when I started looking at time and eternity in this "earlier" way.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit