Saw Danish Worlds Apart movie, have questions

by jws 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I just watched the Danish film "Worlds Apart" last night. It's the story of a JW girl who falls in love with a "worldly" boy and all of the problems in her life. And if anybody wants to see it, it's on the Independent Film Channel on-demand. It was a $6 rental on Time Warner.

Overall, I thought it gave a pretty accurate portrayal of JWs. There were some things that may have been off due to translation to a wider audience. For instance, they referred to being "expelled", not "disfellowshipped". And those were subtitles, so the original Danish might be true to whatever word they use in Denmark.

But there were some things that I noticed that just didn't seem right. Now I know that despite the supposed "Unity", things are handled differently from region to region, from country to country. So I saw a few things that caught my eye. Some of which I think were done intentionally so as to not confuse the audience. Others may just be the way things work in what I'm assuming is Denmark.

1) The lead JW, apparently the PO, wore a very short beard (almost Don Johnson) - and longer hair too. I thought beards were frowned upon, especially for elders. To get so many other things right and then cast a guy with a beard seems out of place. He could have easily shaved or been replaced by a different actor as his part wasn't a major one. Maybe it's different in Denmark.

2) They showed what appeared to be an outdoor assembly in a field. I think some were in chairs, some on the grass. I couldn't imagine that being done here in the US. And assemblies are planned months in advance. What if the weekend comes and it's raining or otherwise unseasonable?

3) In one shot, the main character, Sara, is apparently shown out in field service after she has decided to pioneer. She's wearing tight jeans. At least here in the States when I was a JW, women couldn't even wear a pants suit if it was 50 below zero. Dresses only.

4) It almost seems to portray this PO as a kind of full-time priest or reverend. Like he's the head guy in charge and not the way a JW sees a PO. They had other elders involved in a judicial committee and for meetings, but it was always like this guy was the master of ceremonies. He'd always be at the podium before and/or after somebody else came up to speak.

5) In one scene, I didn't notice who it was, but the JWs were filing out of the Hall while somebody was standing inside, thanking them for coming. Again, as if they're a priest or pastor saying bye to everyone leaving their church.

6) SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER - After Sara is disfellowshipped, her father is made an elder again - as part of the same announcements. And, Sara has an older brother who was "expelled" for reading the wrong book and disagreeing with the elders, so an apostate. I think this would be highly unlikely. I found and read a notebook of my dad's that had meeting minutes for the elder's quarterly meetings. Two disfellowshipped kids and seperated from his wife is the sort of thing they'd hold you back from being an elder for. At least for a while. You wouldn't get promoted at the same meeting when your daughter gets DFed.

7) In the beginning of the movie, the father apparently was an elder. He admits to his family he's done something bad (apparently an affair). His wife won't forgive him and moves out. They have a scene announcing to the congregation he has stepped down as an elder. I'm not sure whether he chose this or was forced to. In any event, it seems unlikely he wouldn't have been disfellowshipped. Although the good ol boy network and different rules for elders certainly could be at play. Or maybe he resigned without confessing.

8) There is a funeral at the hall. The casket is present. My father recently died and I remember being told they couldn't have the casket in the hall (not that I wanted it there anyway). I don't know if this is a JW thing. Or if maybe it's local statutes that prohibit it.

Anybody else see it? I thought it was good. Of course I was focused more on the JW parts than the story. I don't know how it would play to a non-JW audience. My wife came in towards the end and stayed until the end and she's never been JW. So it held her attention.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I thought beards were frowned upon, especially for elders. To get so many other things

In my Kingdom Hall we had a brother ( MS) with a beard,he evidently had a bad scar to cover & it was allowed, many asked about it though.I saw a preview but it was in a another landuage & Mouthy only speaks & understands COCKNEY :)

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I saw the movie and I loved it.

I wouldn't focus too much on, what I call, "minor" details such as the ones you pointed out (elder with beard, or when the girl went out in FS in jeans). I noticed these things, too, but to an everyday "worldly" person, they wouldn't know the difference. I do kind of wonder if these types of things happen in Europe, so maybe someone can fill us in.

What IS important is the reality of what JW's go through, and this was only one example of the many thousands of stories out there. I also thought the script was well written, although there was a lot of information presented and most of it may be missed or few people would truly understand what it's like to be a JW. It's complicated being a JW, and unless you've been a part of it, it's hard to convey everything that goes along with it... especially in one movie.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have stated it before: In Denmark JWs are allowed to have beards, even elders. I once attended a district convention. At least one of the brothers giving talks had a full beard...

Inquiry man

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/politics/167265/1/Saw-Worlds-Apart-three-times-and

• jws
    jws

You're right, civicsi00. Overall, the movie covered a completely believable story.

But there was so much detail, it would seem they had an ex-JW as a consultant. Even saw the row of multi-colored, same height, same width books in the background in one shot. The bland-ness of the Kingdom Hall. It seemed obvious to me that they had a good knowledge of JWs.

Some of the stuff was maybe changed for a more understandable story or for production costs. For example, the PO that's more like a full-time priest might be more understandable to the masses. Or the outdoor assembly might have been done for cost-cutting. Maybe something else was happening outdoors and they used the people as extras. Disfellowshipping of kid/promotion to elder at the same meeting, well, you only have so much time to tell a story and get the details across, so OK.

But other things just wouldn't jive and seemed easily avoidable. Like beards and the jeans in service. If they got so many details right, why these? So, like you, I'm more curious if this is something that's OK in Denmark.

• jws
    jws

Thanks, compound complex!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear jws:

You're welcome!

There was careful research and observation done on the director's part. I took part in many of these Worlds Apart threads and will look up that info asap.

Till later,

CoCo

• sir82
    sir82

I have not seen the movie but can comment on some of your points:

1) In Europe, beards are not nearly as badly viewed as they are here. Basically, the farther north you go in Europe, the more acceptable beards are. In Scandanavia & (apparently) Denmark, a well-trimmed beard is perfectly fine for an elder.

2) You must not have been a JW for long. Up to the 1980's outdoor assemblies were the norm for JWs all over the world. If it rained you got wet. There are still large conventions in outdoor settings in some places in Europe, South America, etc.

3) & 4) Don't know. Artistic license?

5) Sounds like an attendant. In some congregations they can be quite picky about making sure everyone who enters is greeted and/or bade farewell upon leaving by an attendant. It may be the norm in Denmark.

6) Your points are true - sounds like artistic license to get the point across. He certainly could get reappointed as an elder within a few months, so maybe the director just condensed things.

7) You underestimate the power of the good ol' boys club. It would not surprise me at all that he would not be disfellowshipped

8) I recall caskets in the Kingdom Hall a long time ago, 20+ years ago, here in the US - it doesn't happen now. But as with many things, in Europe many things are at least superficially different than here in the US - this might be another such difference.

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

My JW experience began in 1959 and I remember quite a few summer conventions that were held outdoors. I also recall being in the rain. You were expected to just suck it up and sit there.

• jws
    jws

2) You must not have been a JW for long. Up to the 1980's outdoor assemblies were the norm for JWs all over the world. If it rained you got wet. There are still large conventions in outdoor settings in some places in Europe, South America, etc.

I was born into the JWs in the mid 60's. I've been to "open-air" conventions at stadiums. But this was a field with some folding chairs and some people sitting directly on the grass. I've never been to anything that "rustic" and this is a modern drama. Not to say it doesn't happen elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit