How did you feel about attending another church?

by digderidoo 36 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

This question is for those who have attended another church since leaving the JW's.

I have considered attending a local church, firstly out of curiosity and secondly because i do enjoy discussing the bible with people and learning new thoughts on scripture.

The only thing that stops me though is crossing that line. I guess it was a bit like when i first posted here, it took me ages to pluck up the courage and now what was the big deal?

Did anyone else have this feeling before attending another church, that feeling of crossing the line of no return. We've been indoctrinated with this 'false religion' notion for years, so i guess it's no wonder i am apprehensive about putting my foot in the door of another church.

Just wondered how others have felt about attending another church?

Paul

• asilentone
    asilentone

I have never been in any church in my life. I WILL not touch the Babel the Grate! (being silly)

• parakeet
    parakeet

I once attended a Roman Catholic Mass out of curiosity. I attended a few services (if that's the right word) of a group of local Buddhists. I've also been in many churches for weddings and funerals.

Never heard anything compelling.

Still an atheist.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I began visiting other churches shortly after September 1975 passed and I knew for sure the JWs were a crock of sh--. I am currently a member of a Methodist Church. I enjoy discussing the Bible and hearing other people's thoughts. I have never attended another church that forces all of it's members to believe exactly the same thing like the JWs do. People are free to believe anything they want. I have found other churches to be positive environments and supportive of their members during hard times like deaths and sicknesses. They are also many times active in helping the poor and needy in the immediate community. And they don't require that you attend a Bible Study to get that help.

I was eager to learn about other religions when I left the JWs and it has been a positive thing in my life to have done that. Everything the JWs say about other religions is completely false.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I never was a JW, so please feel free to disregard my opinion.

But my advice would be: WHATEVER religion/denomination you may think of following, check out all of the available information first.

I believe that we have a brain (from whatever source) and we should use it. A decision to join a religion (if that's what you want) should be based on knowledge - and if you find that they lied to you, get out, quick!

• Gordy
    Gordy

It was probably about six months after I stopped attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall and three years of research into the WT. In my mind had left a man-made religion, not God. A Christian who had helped me in those previous months took me to two or three small Christian groups who met in hired school halls. They were simple meetings of songs and prayers, and a sermon. It was at one of these I accpeted Christ into my life. But I felt the need for something else. I remember a Pentecostal church that had always interested me when I was a JW. Because they held "missions" in local parks in the area. They would put up a large tent and hold meetings through the week. I had always wondered what they were like, but being a JW at the time I wouldn't go.

Anyway this church was about a 15 minute walk from were I was so one Sunday evening I thought I would go and have a look. But you know what its like going somewhere new and different on your own, I didn't go in. Next morning I get a phone call from the assistant Pastor of the church, saying someone had given them my name and number, could he come and see me. He came thatafternoon and we had a good chat. I told him about going but was nervous about going in. So he said he would pick me up next Sunday, which he did.

Funnily the place was like a large Kingdom Hall, same type of chairs, same type of carpet. There was no cross, or anything else like that, anywhere. But the people were so different, the place was full of life, and joy. People were dressed in anything from a suit to T-shirts and shorts. Short hair long hair, coloured hair, one guy had bright red punk style hair (which he changed nearly every week) and he played in the worship band.

We started off singing songs, and singing songs and singing songs, I thought when are they going to end! Then there was announcements, of what was on during week, kids, and youth clubs, Bible classes etc. The young children went out to Sunday School. Then we had a sermon the Pastor was great , dynamic, just about the Bible and Christ. I thought this is how talks should be if you have a faith in God. So different from the sitting in silence, listening to some speaker drone on. Couple more songs, then communion. My first communion, what should I do, but I had accepted Christ. They passed bread around , ordinary bread, you took a bit and passed it along. The wine came in little glasses which we held on to and the Pastor asked a prayer and we drank together. The we finished with another.

Then tea and coffee were available at the end of the meeting. People were coming up and introducing themselves. Kids were running around, people laughing, joking. The Pastor came and said hello, and said if I wanted to talk at anytime just come and see him. I asked if there were any books I should read, he said only one, the Bible.

I have now been attending that church for 9 years this month. We have just recently moved into a bigger church building as we are growing. There has never been any pressure from anyone. As one person said "You come to worship God, not the church." or as the Pastor has often said "The biggest problem the Christian faith has, is religion."

• TreadClimberMaster
    TreadClimberMaster

I have been to a Unitaritan church a few times and go now and then to a local Unity Church. I feel so scarred by JW's rigid dogma, that I cannot attend a church that is fundamentalist in any way. I never believed that only one religion was a path to God, but that God is so great and big, that all religions lead to him. Unity really believes that all paths do lead to God. It is a very liberal church, accepting of all people and religious views, with a bit of Hinduism thrown in... I really like it...

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I was a little hesitant at first. Now I look forward to Sunday. The hour passes too quickly.

I attend a Independant Christian Church, there are several exjw's & exmormons attending & members.

Blithe

• tympan
    tympan

A couple of years ago when I was in Paris I went to the Notre Dame Cathedral. I was mighty impressed with its grandeur and antiquity (~1000 yrs old).

While my gf and I were there they started a mass service so we sat through down and participated.

Didn't understand a word - it was in French of course - but I thought it was very impressive.

Something about a 1000 year old building and those ancient rites.

Still an atheist though.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Last Sunday i dropped a client off to a Uniting church and picked him up an hour later (no two hour sessions there thankyou).

What struck me was the family friendly atmosphere with everyone standing around afterward enjoying cups of tea and cake.

I'm dead set anti-big religion but I must admit, they play an important role in the creation and maintenance of strong healthy comunities (I'll just remain on the lookout for villagers marching toward my place, torches lit intent on burning pagans).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit