Battlestar Galactica Finale: Huge Copout?

by leavingwt 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Twitch
    Twitch

"jumped the shark" ? what the frak does that mean? ;)

I'd agree that the episodes, general themes and character development seemed to meander somewhat, and in a way I thought it suited the show's premise however I doubt that was intentional in the writing, ;) But they'd throw in curve balls too and there were some cool twists and ideas, especially the one about the map to earth using the constellations, (which as Elsewhere pointed out is now moot with a "new" earth) But Starbuck wasn't exactly the Harbinger of Death now was she? Loose ends,....

Resolving Baltar & 6 as "conduits" for god's angels was, as Spicoli would say, bogus. He's obviously schizo, lol. Starbuck's arc ended with a thud; need we say more? Adama/Roslyn; check. Helo/Athena/Hera; check. Boomer; check. Final Five; check. (karma or justice?) Cavil; check (going out in true jaded nihilist fashion) Cavil was written and played well, IMO. But the whole idea of everyone reverting to a hunter/gatherer lifestyle was bs. Of course there'd be techo-factions that would take over and found the possibly lucrative BSG: Atlantis, but this remains to be seen,..

The show as a whole was excellent, a good mix of character development, innovative production and writing that asked some core questions about identity, morality and belief. But hey, I am/was a fan,...:)

Firefly? I caught a couple episodes but it didn't hook me. Then I saw the movie Serenity, which was awesome. Part of the collection now.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Twitch: "'jumped the shark' ? what the frak does that mean? ;)

There was a sitcom in the 80's called "Happy Days," a soupy, nostalgia-laden show set in the 1950s. The only character worth watching was "The Fonz," a smart-ass, leather-jacketed greaser.

The show was popular for a few years, until an episode aired in which The Fonz waterskiied on Lake Michigan and literally jumped over a shark in the water (I know -- sharks in Lake Michigan?? I didn't see this episode).

After that episode, the series (as all series eventually do) gradually declined in quality until the network axed the show. Since then, any popular TV series that has given its all and starts imploding from lack of inspiration, is said to have "jumped the shark."

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Ok, first of all Fonzie jumped the shark when they all went on vacation in California, it was nowhere near Lake Michigan.

Second, the finale was a huge copout. Any plot line they couldn't figure out a logical resolution to, "God did it."

I have no problem with the throwing in the idea of some higher power having a hand in things. And its not that every single plot point needs to be answered completely and with nothing left to ponder. But there's a difference between hinting at a divine explanation, and just plain sloppy writing, which this was.

Although there were still some interesting moments, in a way some stories did get resolved. I've certainly seen worse series finales. What really got to me was the old-school Centurions duking it out with the new models. That was frakking awesome, as was the old theme song playing as the ships headed into the sun.

"There are those who believe that life here began out there..."

No Apologies

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I LOVE this series!

Starbucks is my girl.

Randy

• parakeet
    parakeet

No Apologies: "Ok, first of all Fonzie jumped the shark when they all went on vacation in California, it was nowhere near Lake Michigan."

Thanks for the clarification, NA. Unfortunately, it still means a series is going downhill fast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit