gettogethers disguised as X-mas parties...?

by Richie 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

When you were a JW, how many of you actually went to a gathering of some sorts, which could have been called a disguised X-mas- or New Years Eve party among Witnesses? We always had parties and large dinners with them during this time, as a lot of Witnesses were somewhat despondent or lonely because of the festivities going on in the "world".... Appreciate your thoughts about this!

:*) Richie

• Escargot
    Escargot

Heck, I remember serving and eating turkey at the “friends” house on Thanksgiving day! The rationalization was: “it’s a day off to cook, and turkeys are on sale!.” Deep inside, I think we wanted to be normal!!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

What's wrong with these scenarios? I thought Dubs don't celebrate Thanksgiving or X-mas or any Holiday. Yet, they have "get togethers" for those days?

Ajax

I am not a JW, Never Was and Never Will Be!

• Escargot
    Escargot

Ajaxman, point well taken!!

• LB
    LB

You bet, we all justified the holidays. I know one lady at my old hall had a "love day" where her family exchanged gifts and decorated the house. It was held on new years weekend.

• Escargot
    Escargot

Ajaxman, have you ever read Ray Franz' two books? If not, please do and hang on for the ride!

And a merry Love Day to all!!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Escargot,

I'm still reading Crisis of Conscience. I don't have the other book.

Oh well, I might as well hang on for the ride even though I'm not a JW, I did befriend one.

Ajax

I am not a JW, Never Was and Never Will Be!

• Escargot
    Escargot

Ajaxman, read the second one to! Also, show understanding to your JW friend! They all need love and understanding. You are doing a good thing..........

• Scully
    Scully

Richie writes:

When you were a JW, how many of you actually went to a gathering of some sorts, which could have been called a disguised X-mas- or New Years Eve party among Witnesses? We always had parties and large dinners with them during this time, as a lot of Witnesses were somewhat despondent or lonely because of the festivities going on in the "world".... Appreciate your thoughts about this!

It certainly is common among JWs where ever I've been associated with them..... western Quebec/eastern Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick... used to have friends in BC who did too.

The usual excuse was that everyone had the day off work anyway, so might as well try to have some fun too. My mom's excuse for the turkey dinner (which my elder dad appreciates, but attaches no religious significance to) was that it's plentiful at this time of year and on sale.

My dad also used to go to Boxing Day sales and buy toys and games for us that were now deeply discounted post-Christmas. My mom used to buy ribbons and bows that were marked down right after Christmas too.

<sigh> that's what memories are made of..... lol

My parents' congregation for several years took their holiday dinner party to Mont Tremblant..... they had almost the entire chalet to themselves as everyone else was busy celebrating Christmas..... and they spent the day skiing and partying in the chalet... and had a big congregation turkey feast before heading home.

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Richie
    Richie

Scully.....
    Thanks for your post - By the way I read that you are from Canada and in fact from around the same region I am in - Please let me know where you're from, perhaps I may know of you as you were mentioning about Eastern Ontario, Western Quebec and Mont Tremblant, all familiar areas... To keep your anonimity, you can of course email me at [email protected].

Richie :*)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit