Which of the Society's presidents did you like the least?

by donny 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Rutherford with his other class doctrine which denied them the gift of eternal life and made them slaves of him and his cronies the so called annointed.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Casting another vote here for Rutherford. Looks like a landslide.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Rutherford

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Rutherford was the "dark ages" of the Watchtower Society.

Here he is at his worst....his 1938 lecture "Fill the Earth":

http://www.archive.org/details/FillTheEarthByJudgeRutherford

Should JWs get married now? No.

After Armageddon, they can get married and have babies galore!

Here's one more....Rutherford on "Religion":

http://www.archive.org/details/ReligionByJudgeRutherford

• Perry
    Perry

I wuzza 4th gen Witness. At the behest of one of Rutherfords marketing campaings; My mother actually wore one of those placcards that said "Religion is a Snare and a Racket".

Me likie Rutherford the least too.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Rutherford was definitely the biggest ass of all of them. But let's not forget that Russell started it all.

• trebor
    trebor

keyser,

Stole my thoughts...Rutherford is the worst of the lot, but without Russell there would have been no Ruitherford or even Witnesses. I wonder how things would have ended up for any (all) of us if Jehovah's Witnesses never existed. Would would be a part of another cult organization, or with one of the "mainstream" religions, something else?

• donny
    donny

It does appear to be a landslide for Rutherford. Even the Society could not present him in a good light. The best they could do was call him strong and decisive. In my ten years of capture, I can't recall anyone speaking of him as one to emulate.

• jws
    jws

I remember seeing the pictures on the wall when I was a kid of each of the presidents. Rutherford just looked mean.

Got me to thinking about our past US president, GW Bush. He'll likely be remembered as the worst president for quite some time. Yet a lot of people who hated his policies would often say he's the president they'd most like to have a beer with.

What about Rutherford? He's probably such a bad example because of his love of power, his ego, and his double-life. Given that double-life, I wonder if he would have been fun to go out drinking with. If you weren't a JW or religious person, expecting him to behave piously, would he be likeable?

I'm just trying to picture him out on the town in a strech limo stocked with all the best booze, coke, and hookers. Then back to the crib (Beth Sarim) for a pool party. He's partying like a rock star and you're having trouble keeping up.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Milton Henschel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit