JWs in Utah ...

by sacolton 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

I wonder how successful the Witnessing is in Utah converting Mormons to JWs. From one cult to another. Anyone know?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It was fairly successful. There were several congregations made up of ex mormons back some years. The mentality is exactly the same - cultlike and so it isn't really that big a step. I think that the JW's could perhaps swayed some mormons with their version of the 'truth' simply because they use the bible more effectively in reference to that 'truth'.

Now, this doesn't mean there are converts running around willy nilly looking for a kingdom hall - but they are there. sammieswife.

• I quit!
    I quit!

My wife's cousin's wife was a Mormon who converted to the Watchtower. The Tower has a district convention there every summer and my wife usually attend. I don't know what their success rate is for conversions there in Utah. All, or almost all of the Witnesses in her family there are pretty messed up so I don't think they are attracting many new comers.

• outofservice
    outofservice

That's funny. I just had two Mormon's come to my door this morning. I live in Colorado so close to there mother ship. They were very nice asked me if I knew anything about them. I said yes as a matter of fact I was in a religion for many years that was similar to there's. They said JW's right off the bat. I had to laugh. They asked me if I wanted to talk about any of our similar beliefs with them. I politely declined. I think some of there beliefs are crazier than witnesses. If you haven't seen Religious by bill maher.I recommend it for the look into the Mormons and Scientoligist wild stuff. But for adults only.Sorry off the subject a little but wanted to share.

OutofService

• I quit!
    I quit!

JWs make fun of Mormon beliefs and I'm sure Mormons make fun of JWs but I think they have kind of an affinity maybe not in Utah but in other areas where they are both considered odd ball religions.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Sorry, I don't know how I change this to underlined and red. It wasn't supposed to be.

• undercover
    undercover

I knew a JW that converted to Mormonism...

What was funny (though at the time I was still an active JW and didn't see the humor then) was that he started calling on all the JWs that he knew with two Mormon missionaries in tow, to try to share his new "truth" with all his old JW "friends". As you can imagine, it didn't go well for him...

• steve2
    steve2

JWs vs Mormons? Mormons vs JWs? The "inner space" is all the same viewed from outer space. An comparable question is, How successful are the JWs at converting catholics who live in Rome? Answer: reasonably successful. Or at converting Moslems who live in Mecca (Answer: Last count: Zero.)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More coffee!

• Summerfield
    Summerfield

Hi!

I was raised in Utah. While they were few and far between, there were conversions. I remember a polygamous family that studied, the first wife and most of her kids were baptized. I also think most are out now too.

They usually didn't listen to preaching. Or they tried to do their own conversion while we were at their door. Our standard reply was, "We came to your door, you come to ours." And any talk from the Bible was quickly dismissed. They believe the Bible "only as far as it is translated correctly". They prefer the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price.

But generally they were nice people. Most of my family are still LDS. I have a direct ancestral link to Brigham Young, and an ancestor of mine designed the SLC Temple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit