WT: mainstreaming, becoming more cultish, or disappearing?

by JimmyPage 22 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Tightening it's grip, personal shunning experienced by me testifies to this. Those doing the shunning are going above and beyond even what the WTS expects.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I see it shrinking in membership - due to some exploring the internet.

However - I also see them - the WTBTS - getting 'new light' - and partially 'accepting' the internet - eventually. What they will do though is offer to the general membership a CD - with software on it - designed to limit ones' access to the internet to various 'approved' sites - including their own site - and excluding sites such as this one. (Sorta like the 'parental supervision' software...)

Only those who are 'good' JWs will use the software - and obey the 'rules' - my what 'food at the proper time' - allowing access to the internet through god-given software. (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

They will also - then - allow downloads of the latest magazines - via the internet - as printing costs (well - the paper costs) continue to rise.

Praise da' lord!

These changes will only occur after one of the current GB ol' fogeys finally passes on - allowing more modern thinking to prevail.

The software will also have the ability to 'track' internet sites that one visits - and report these to HQ - along with personal info - so that DF'ings can take place much easier - errr... I mean... spiritual council.

Regards,

Jim TX

• yknot
    yknot

I think under Ted's cultish reign it will continue to decline in areas where donations count the most.

The Borg is trying to augment this decline by pursuing Eastern European countries as a possible source to counteract the decline in fully 'westerinzed' countries...... but it will not be enough to keep the WTS in the means it has grown accustomed. Quanity is always valuable in business but ultimately with the Borgs revolving door membership quanity is not as profitable or sustainable as quality.

If Losch and company have any ounce of intelligence and business savvy in them they will continue to seek the less westernized countries but will regroup through mainstreaming to recapture lost and dissatisfied western members.

Mainstreaming is relatively easy and it means more money and higher retention numbers

Similarly to when livery businesses converted their stalls into parking garages.

The main thing most JWs value about the WTS interpretationally are the core three, millenial reign, literal 144,000 and perhaps a level of primative-ness.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I see a trend towards stagnation, but with continued growth.

They have large amounts of assets and cash reserves in addition to a zealous membership (compared to other faiths that where entusasim is almost noexsistant). Despite the problems they still remain ahead of others.

Of course, they face many long term challenges. Their theology is quite dated and is not equipped to last through the 21st century. They are stuck in the world of "print based" literature. Their services are dull and they are loosing young people. Additinally, there are many underutilized groups within the organization, a situation that exists because of a stubborn leadership unwilling to accept change (young people and women are especially underutilized). So the challenges they face are great. If they sucuessfully overcome these problems they will be stronger and more apt to survival. If not they will flounder. Right now I think we are at the breaking point. The next 15-20 years will reall define who they are for the next century.

• besty
    besty

Rev 11:18 - bring to ruin those ruining the earth etc

The WTS have a track record of using this scripture to support a composite sign

I expect them to major more and more on this as the scientific community become more vocal in their proclamations of climate change disaster.

Its a credible doomsday scenario to keep the faithful agog and it is foretold in Scripture to be a harbinger of godly action. Praise the lord. Oh and by the way, don't worry about doing anything maningful to help the environment, such as political agitation, cuz God is gonna fix it all at the last minute.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Rev 11:18 is a strange one, because as far as I can see there is nothing in the context to indicate that the physical environment is what the author has in mind. It seems to be talking about human society. The Bible in Living English, which the society published for a number of years, talks about the destruction of the "havoc makers".

• aniron
    aniron

Looking like a case of rearranging the deckchairs on the SS.Watchtower.

While taking in water below decks.

• Spook
    Spook

I would add to my previous comments the following:

1. I predict less publications and ones of lower quality. Weakening means of control and expansion.

2. I predict increased fuel costs. Weakening the already unproductive ministry work.

3. Growth ceilings. I've mentioned before that JW's are a parasite religion. They only have success in nations where other religions have already preached christianity. They are totally unequipped to deal with Islam and the other major religions. Also, many other religions in the last 20 years, with the rise of fundies in general, have as good or better means of "spiritual food."

4. On the wrong side of history. The middle east and near east are shaping the world for the rest of our lifetimes. China/Asia economically and the Islamic nations on foreign policy. JW's were locked to Russia, while other fundies managed to get lucky on the middle east.

5. I'll reiterate the changing demographics issue. I think as minority and foreign language groups become the (vast) majority in the JW organization we will see a great deal change in the religion.

• tsar_robles
    tsar_robles

Yknot

[quote]If Losch and company have any ounce of intelligence and business savvy in them they will continue to seek the less westernized countries but will regroup through mainstreaming to recapture lost and dissatisfied western members.[quote]

In line with Yknot's comment we could see the wt becoming 'inspired' and receiving 'new light' regarding the reinstatement process... to something more in line to what the scriptures suggest it should be.... but it wouldn't be a move motivated for love and compassion but $$$$

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think they are preparing to tighten up some more. However, they have to make it look like they are mainstream to the world, so they can continue getting favorable judgments in cases of being legalized and in child custody issues. Plus, that would help them in gaining new members who are not suspecting what is in store for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit