Bill O'Reilly

by megaflower 11 Replies latest jw friends

• megaflower
    megaflower

His latest book, "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity is a good read. Its been on the bst seller list for 6 months now. Yes, I know he is conservative and is not liked by liberals. However, he is one of the more centered one and does try to show both sides.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

You're kidding right? Bill O'Rielly is a self-centered sexist gas-bag. I doubt he can even write.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here's an excerpt from his book of fiction "Those Who Trespass"

MARTHA'S VINEYARD
    SEPTEMBER 1994

As Ron Costello saw it, the nighttime media party in Edgartown provided him a wide-open window of opportunity--one he could make the most of. For he was frustrated and fed up, and what he badly needed was to satisfy a basic human need, the need for some kind of physical release. Chasing the Clintons around the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, looking on as a cracker First Family acted out its vacation in front of millions, was not just tiring for him, but unnecessary. When a family--even the First Family--went golfing, boating, and horseback riding, it was hardly newsworthy. And Costello was, after all, the chief White House correspondent for the powerful Global News Network, not some travel narrator, for Christ's sake. But here he was, on a GNN assignment he hated, reporting on President Clinton and family eating barbecue.

The jazzy voice of the singer Sade wafted through the humid night air, and Ron Costello pursed his thin lips and sized up the situation. Already in his sights was a pretty camerawoman light-headed from too much vodka. Costello felt he had a real chance with this young woman, who was now walking toward the makeshift bar located in the corner of the front porch. Surely this babe was impressed with his resume. He had been a correspondent with GNN for twenty-six years. The power and prestige of his job brought him big-time perks, like the attention of young women eager to advance in the arbitrary world of television news. That Costello's wife and kids usually stayed in D.C. during his presidential travels heightened his risk-reward ratio considerably.

Perhaps fifty people attended the party, which was being tossed in an old Colonial home overlooking Edgartown harbor. GNN had rented the house for the summer and it was the perfect executive retreat. For thirty years, Martha's Vineyard had attracted rich and powerful media personalities. Walter Cronkite owned a multi-million dollar home on the outskirts of Edgartown. Mike Wallace had a summer house on the island, as did Katharine Graham of the Washington Post.

And some reviews from Amazon, where you can find hundreds of copies starting at just $0.01!!

Yes, I believe Ron Costello is Bill O'Reilly. An "angry, bitter man." What awful writing and what an unsympathetic, macho, ugly main character.
    How anyone could read past the first chapter of this woman-hating, chest-thumping garbage is beyond me.
    Well, I should have listened to the majority of the reviews posted on Amazon about this book. It was terrible. To me, the worst parts were the terrible language and explicit descriptions of sexual encounters. The sex was unexpected; this is supposedly a suspense book, so sex isn't really needed. But beyond the offensive content, the book just wasn't written well. The story never really grabs your attention, and the characters are dry and stereotypical. To conclude, take the advice of most reviewers and skip this book. O'Reilly's a smart man, but he needs to stick with news and leave fiction to the experts!
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    does try to show both sides.

Surely you are joking.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I can't stand his televison persona, what a nasty, nasty fellow. He is also not only frequently wrong but very disingenuous as well. Dish Network recently replaced MSNBC with Fox News on my cable plan--by surprise. I actually tuned him in last night for a few minutes. I felt dirty afterwards. But at least now I get to DVR Glenn Beck, whose show I enjoy.

But maybe the book is good despite all this. *shrug*

BTS

• Gregor
    Gregor

Bill O'Reilly is a self centered ass wipe.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I still can't figure out if he's a liberal trying to show he's a conservative, or a conservative trying to show he's a liberal.

Warlock

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I think he is a self-serving scoundrel.

• Hittman
    Hittman

I've read as much of his books as you can without getting dirty looks from the bookstore clerk, and the writing is competent, but not anything special.

But that excerpt from his fiction – wow. That was just bad.

I watch his Wednesday show for the Dennis Miller segment. He used to follow that with Mary Katherine Ham, the "internet cop," and she was fun – she'd often argue with him and tell him he was over-reacting. He's replaced her with a different woman who is more of a lap dog.

But at least now I get to DVR Glenn Beck, whose show I enjoy.

I've just started watching Beck. I like him. He's smart and funny, but most importantly he treats the audience like they're smart too. O'Reilly thinks he's smarter than you, and it comes across as pompous and arrogant. Beck also avoids the deadly mistake if taking himself too seriously.

• I quit!
    I quit!

AKA Falafel Bill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit