Is it offensive to invite JW to birthday party?

by AuntBee 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

I would invite him, but also let him know that if he decides not to come, you and your daughter will understand.

• carla
    carla

Jw's can take offense either way so just invite the kid and let him deal with it. If you don't invite him his jw family can say, 'see? they don't like jw's they didn't even offer to invite you' or they can take offense because YOU should know about their whacky beliefs and adhere to them and not invite him. If you invite him he can decide if he will tell the folks or not if he goes or if he turns it down and earns a few brownie points for doing so.

Tell him to marry a worldly girl and he can do birthday's & holidays all the days of his life! See? he can always blame his presence at functions on his worldly mate and he still gets the benefits of celebrations and can pass all the guilt to someone else in typical jw fashion.

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

THanks for all those great answers on that. Your insights definitely changed my perspective.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

No, its not offensive because deep down they want to sing happy birthday and eat cake just like everyone else.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JWs are Masters at getting offended.

Counsel regarding dress and grooming and other personal matters often boils down to: "Well, the Bible doesn't mention it, but it might stumble Brother Some."

The average JW can go from Zero to Offended in less than 10 seconds.

• oompa
    oompa

i would invite him and explain you are celebrating her leaving the "minor" status and becoming "adult"...mention there is no biblical command in OT or NT (and they had rules for everything including how to take a shit)....and that if he wants to go to the bathroom if some nutjob starts singing happy birthday you are cool with that but you and daughter sure want him there.........oomps

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You won't be hurting his feelings. He knows that it's not scriptual, in that faith, to celebrate birthdays so he wont be hurt.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:s it offensive to invite JW to birthday party?

I would strongly advise you don't. People frequently get beheaded at such events, you know.

megaflower,

:Birthday celebrations are forbidden in JW land and it is a disfellowshiping offence.

No, it isn't. At least it is not stated as such in WT publications, and I've never heard of anyone coming forward to say they were disfellowshipped for merely attending a birthday party. It is considered a "bad" thing to do in WatchtowerLand, though.

Farkel

• shamus100
    shamus100

Theres always sex happening at Non-JW houses..

It's nothing but one non-stop orgy. I get drunk every night, and have sex with men and women; being in the world changed me to homosexual, don't cha know.

I drink every day until obliteration.

I beat baby seals for fun.

Walter and I are just party animals.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Aunt Bee (who likes to feed people)....save him some cake and ice cream for later. Don't tell him it's from the party. And yeah, I think you should extend the invite but also let him know you understand if he doesn't come because you don't want to cause him any trouble with his family.

Maybe he and your daughter can have a "special occassion" for the upcoming weekend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit