I Saw A FALLING STAR!

by cameo-d 13 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Since I've taken to star gazing - only with binoculers for now (will get a telescope once I'm familiar with the heavens) I've seen more "shooting 'stars'", satellites, clusters - it's gorgeous.

When you know what you're looking up at, and you can name those stars/clusters/constellations it makes such a difference. You're looking up with intent and awareness.

Not so long ago I got up at 3am, took the binocs and headed down to the ocean to watch Jupiter, Mars & Mercury rise - ah it was a beautiful site and a fabulous way to start they day. I stayed down at the beach till sun rise - good for the soul!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The so called shooting star is not a star at all. It is a meteor, which is a piece of space dust or rock. Larger ones the size of a house or larger can make a crater on Earth.Most tiny ones burn up before hitting the ground, but the ones that land are called meteorites. Most meteorites are stone and stony iron, with some being solid iron. I collect meteorites, have over 100 of them, including pieces of a couple of them that came from Mars.

The most spectacular meteor shower I have seen was the Leonids of 2002.

The Peekskill meteorite hit a car.

Peekskill

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Kurtbethel,

I am sorry that a star fell on your car.

I don't think it was the one I saw.

It looked much much bigger than that rock in your picture.

Are you sure it wasn't hoodlums?

Does your insurance refuse to cover 'acts of god'...like throwing rocks at us?

• oompa
    oompa

i love them and have seen too many to count....but the weird one was when i was walking up my driveway with my fiancee in hand...a dub and my second wife....her first marriage...the stars were intense and i was talking about falling stars and she said she had never seen one......and ya....a huge won went across nearly the entire sky and we both saw it.......like a bad movie scene........it was pretty cool.............oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit