who has stopped overdrinking on their own?....

by oompa 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I have not had a drink today. What more could I ask for?

• tympan
    tympan

shamus100 wrote: >>You can talk all you want about an addiction problem, but when it comes right down to it, you need to get your life in order and just do it.

Sounds so awfully simple and cold-hearted, doesn't it? I wish it was so simple.

That's what worked for me. As you say s100, it's not at all easy. But it is possible.

I tried addiction therapy until I realised that I liked getting wasted. It was the only time that life didn't hurt so bad. But it's a pretty shitty way of existing and in the long run it just contributes to the rest of your problems. Drinking so much that you wake up in the garden covered in frost with no idea how you got there is not good!

I also realised that no one else can tell me how to be me. It's entirely up to me to work it for myself.

So I decided one day, about 7 years ago, that I was done with that way of life. And mostly I am. I still drink socially with friends, but I don't get smashed. I go weeks and months at a time without touching a drop.

It's a lot cheaper too!

• avishai
  • yknot
    yknot

Seems the men of my life have all had consumption issues....

All quit cold turkey...... either for medical or legal reasons.

None subscribed to AA and all appear to have learned how to be in control of their decisions when partaking.

Each drank for different reasons (social or self medicating). Each had to acknowledge the reasons behind the over indulgence.

I guess as a guy you just have to make a decision.

I agree with the other posters who suggested medical intervention to help take the edge off, while detoxing my ex-bf took meds with great results.

He wasn't cranky or sluggish but then again he also started a strict gym schedule and streamlined his diet and vitamin intake.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Where are you Snowbird? You are an angel. I need someone like you today. I wish that I lived in Alabama, or you in Florida.
    Ray

Someone one the JWS board just alerted me to this.

Burn, I'm sorry you're hurting. I think you know by now how you have grown on me.

I'm praying that your faith won't give out, and that you'll be able to ride out this thing.

It's gonna be alright, my good man.

Just hang in there.

You, too, Oompa.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

A postscript to Burn:

If I were you, I would heed Simon's advice about the Obama bashing.

I found a good practice to follow if I don't like someone (a rarity) is to write that person's name on a piece of paper, wad it, and throw it into the trash can!

It helps a lot.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit