Who's Watching The Economy?

by Nathan Natas 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thats funny....

• Kudra
    Kudra

I am so below the poverty line that pretty much nothing affects me... no stocks, no investments, I get the same salary as I ever did... (well, actually my income doubled this past year but I just paid off credit card debt), I drive so infrequently that the gas prices can go up and down again before I gas up twice.

k

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This moron in chief has never run anything more than his mouth, and we gave him the country. Now watch the barking libtards here scramble for the well worn "bbbbbbbut Bush" defense they use to defend against accusations about anything the Teleprompter Jesus mucks up. Well guess what? Bush don't shit in the White House no more, and that deflection is pretty fuckin old already. Pretty old.

Who's Watching The Economy?

Why has Obama neglected Treasury?

President Barack Obama’s handy excuse for all sorts of goofs and missteps is that he’s too busy working on fixing the economy. In order to do that, one might expect that Obama would concentrate on building his economic team at the Department of the Treasury, where most of those efforts would originate and get managed. Instead, as noted earlier today, phones go unanswered at Treasury — and our allies and trading partners have begun complaining about the lack of effort in the White House.

Reports have floated around that “dozens” of positions remain unfilled at Treasury, most recently in the New York Times’ profile of Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner:

Compounding the strain on the Treasury, almost all the top posts beneath Mr. Geithner are still vacant. Though he has hired about 50 senior advisers — about half the number he hopes to recruit — the White House has become so worried about potential tax problems and other issues in the backgrounds of candidates that it has nominated only a handful of people.

From that, we know that more than four dozen positions remain unfilled — positions that Geithner has to fill himself. But what about positions that the White House has to appoint? I researched that question this morning, and found the list of positions at Treasury that require White House appointment and Senate confirmation. It’s quite a list:

• Secretary
    • Deputy Secretary
    • Under Secretary — Domestic Finance
    • Under Secretary — International Affairs
    • Under Secretary — Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
    • Assistant Secretary — Economic Policy
    • Assistant Secretary — Financial Markets
    • Assistant Secretary (Deputy Under Secretary) — International Affairs
    • Assistant Secretary (Deputy Under Secretary) — Legislative Affairs
    • Assistant Secretary — Management and Chief Financial Officer
    • Assistant Secretary — Public Affairs/Director — Policy Planning
    • Assistant Secretary — Tax Policy
    • Chief Counsel — Internal Revenue Service/Assistant General Counsel for Tax
    • Commissioner — Internal Revenue (five-year terms of office)
    • General Counsel
    • Inspector General
    • Inspector General — Tax Administration
    • Treasurer — United States

The White House has responsibility for appointing these 18 positions. Those appointments get handled by the Senate Finance Commitee, which after receiving the formal nominations, has to do background checks and other information gathering to prepare committee members for their hearings. It takes some time to get a nomination from the White House to a confirmation vote, but the clock doesn’t start — it can’t start — until Obama makes each nomination.

How many of these positions has Obama filled with a formal nomination? According to the White House website, this many:

• Secretary - Tim Geithner

That’s it. Just the one nomination, for what Barack Obama says is his greatest priority and gives as an excuse for his diplomatic incompetence. And these are just the political appointments that require Senate confirmation. It will take weeks to fill these positions even after the appointments get made, but Obama hasn’t even gotten to Step 1.

One of the basic tasks of any executive is staffing. In fact. it’s one of the chief complaints Republicans have with their new RNC chair, Michael Steele, who canned the staff and has yet to replace them. Obama has the responsibility to staff all of the positions in his administration, and especially where he keeps claiming his attention is placed. Instead of making it a priority,, Obama has left Treasury bereft of senior leadership. The failure to staff Treasury speaks volumes about his priorities – and his competence.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Obama got elected because of the failures of Baby Bush in specific and the Republican party in general. If you don't agree, then please tell me how you think he got elected?

Whether you voted for Obama because, you see him at one end of the continuum as "the Messiah" or at the other extreme as "imperfect, but better than more of the Republican crap" - we have voted in a president that we hope succeeds. Those who didn't vote for him should still get on board and support the administration either grudgingly at one end of that continuum or out of respect and patriotism at the other end. Or......you could just chew your own damned leg off. Your choice.

Someone in the Republican party should have stood up against Bush if they didn't like his policies rather than sheeping. Might have made the difference.

• beksbks
    beksbks

"This moron in chief has never run anything more than his mouth, and we gave him the country. Now watch the barking libtards here scramble for the well worn "bbbbbbbut Bush" defense they use to defend against accusations about anything the Teleprompter Jesus mucks up. Well guess what? Bush don't shit in the White House no more, and that deflection is pretty fuckin old already. Pretty old."

Burn, the Christian love that you dispay is truely inspiring!! Praise the Lord!

• parakeet
    parakeet

"Who's watching the economy?"

Every taxpaying American. Doesn't mean we can do anything about it, though.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Instead, as noted earlier today, phones go unanswered at Treasury — and our allies and trading partners have begun complaining about the lack of effort in the White House.

I think they'll get those positions filled soon...after all, Bush and buddies just screwed the economy so much that out of the millions of people without jobs, surely one of them can do it. Of course, Obama is simply trying to make sure that unlike the Republican party, the crooks don't get to stay on the job...so that might require a little extra effort...and at least we have a president that can read and actually enjoys it. sammieswife.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, we are having another fake rally on Wall Street--after the 370 point fake gain we had Tuesday. All they know how to do is hand out bailout money to the big companies so they can look profitable, rally the stock market, and create the illusion that all is OK. Then, when the market goes down again, they print up more money (don't worry--it will generate inflation, but you owe those companies their 100 figure incomes while you can struggle on $25 a year after taxes).

Now, if Osama Obama gives another talk, that ought to set things straight. Maybe they should hire him solely to give us 300- and 600 point drops on Wall Street. If he gives enough of them, maybe the market will drop below zero, and people can just take the wallpaper off the street (instead of having it become wallpaper when they need to cash in on it 10-20 years later).

If the Dow reflected the One World Totalitarian Government that is setting up, or the religious Second Dark Ages from Christians and/or Muslims, it should actually be trading at minus infinity.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Well, we are having another fake rally on Wall Street--after the 370 point fake gain we had Tuesday.

It was the news that Citigroup was seeing some profits that caused the rise, just like the unemployment numbers being released the week before were the cause of a drop.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The United States economy is conceptual in nature, largely defined by analyzing negative indicators.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit