Nephilim . Please educate me the best ya can.

by lurk3r 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Sigh. I CANNOT BELIEVE how much The society fudges some thing. It's starting to get me more than i thought it would. Espcially the things we are led to believe as factual.

Pllease correct me if I'm wrong. I remember reading the Bible Book of Stories back in the late 70's as a child. I ate it up. There is a chapter in there somewhere about the flood and the Nephilim. I 99.999999 % sure that it said, very matter of fact , that the "sons of god", who they factuallly identified as angels that materialized and had hybrid offspring,the Nephilim.

I have been looking into what the bible has to say. And from the things i have read, it's not conclusive as to who the "sons of god" actually are... anyone give me any input on this?

I dont hvae a bible in front of me, but there is a scripture i read yesterday that REALLY has me wondering. Its says that the Nephilim were on the earth in those days...and also afterwards". The way i was raised was that God brought the deluge to destry the wicked men as he had regrets. Well, if he brought the flood to lose the Nephilim, why are they still on the earth after? Stands to reason perhaps Goliath was a Neph?

Thanks for looking at this thread.

lurk3r

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

All I can do is recommend this book that I just read: From the Ashes of Angels - The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race - ANDREW COLLINS - ISBN 0-451-18926-4 - which I have found extremely enlightening - good deal of information concerning the Book of Enoch and its influence/relation to the Book of Daniel - also relates greatly to Genesis 6 and the Nephilim...

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, not able to post long posts...but that book is very informative...

Fundamentalism (in all its forms) basically sucks. The WT expects people to take the Bile(! should have typed Bible, but I like that typo) literally, although it is mostly myth, legend, allegory and metaphor. So many of its OT stories are based on much older myths and legends carried over from surrounding cultures. Good for you for starting to UNBELIEVE and dig a little deeper! They don't like when you puncture the veneer of Biblical authority.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page and type in single words for best results.

There is a lot of info here on most anything you can think of.

If you still have questions and cannot find answer you seek on some of the threads, then add your question to the thread and bring it back up to current topics.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

lurk3r....Here is the thread just for you that presents much of the scholarship on the subject:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/68224/1/The-enigmatic-mystery-of-the-Nephilim-the-Rephaim-and-the-Titans

The concept goes back to Canaanite and Mesopotamian mythology and involves a kind of legendary way of recalling the past.

I have been looking into what the bible has to say. And from the things i have read, it's not conclusive as to who the "sons of god" actually are... anyone give me any input on this?

In the OT, the term "son of God" are the lesser gods that form part of the divine assembly; this concept comes straight out of Canaanite mythology. Bear in mind that the term uses a common Hebrew idiom, "sons of valor" are "valorous men" (1 Samuel 14:52), "son of murder" is a "murderer" (2 Kings 6:32), "son of rebellion" is a "rebel" (Numbers 17:25), "sons of tumult" are "tumultuous people" (Jeremiah 48:45), "son of man" is simply "man" (Job 16:21), "sons of oil" are those "anointed ones" (Zechariah 4:14), "sons of the troop" are "soldiers" (2 Chronicles 25:13), "son of the goldsmiths" is simply a "goldsmith" (Nehemiah 3:31), etc. So the term probably means "god". In Canaanite mythology, there are seventy "sons of Asherah" or "sons of El" that form the divine assembly. There is a similar concept in Deuteronomy 32:8 about El-Elyon: "When Elyon gave the nations as an inheritance, when he separated the sons of man (= the men), he set the boundaries of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God (= the gods). For Yahweh's portion was his people; Jacob was the lot of his inheritance". Here Yahweh is one of the number of gods to whom Elyon allots a nation for his (= Yahweh's) inheritance. Curiously enough, in Genesis 10 the number of nations was seventy, the same number as the number of gods in Ugaritic myth. In later OT texts, Yahweh and El-Elyon were merged and the other gods became "angels" (hence the term "son of God" is translated as "angel" throughout the LXX). Since the original scheme in Deuteronomy 32:8 (which btw was corrupted in the MT to obscure the henotheism in the text) claimed that the other nations were ruled by real gods, and since the same concept is encountered elsewhere in the OT (cf. Judges 11:23-24, Deuteronomy 29:24-27, 1 Kings 11:33, Jeremiah 48:7), the notion was slighty adjusted to the view that the other nations were ruled by angels, particularly disobedient angels since they desired worship for themselves (cf. Daniel 10). The view in Enochic Judaism was a little different. There were fallen angels before the Flood that led man into sin, but the archangels apprehended them, bound them up, and threw them into an abyss for seventy generations (cf. Jude 6, which depends on this Enochic tradition). So in 1 Enoch, the supernatural beings that cause sin and false worship today could not be the fallen angels, for they are all locked away in Tartarus. The evil spirits are rather the souls of the Nephilim running amuck. The Nephilim drowned in the Flood, but because they were the offspring of immortal angels, they were immortal themselves. But because they lost their original fleshly bodies, and because they have fleshly desires, they continually desire new bodies to live in. This is the Essene view demons found in 1 Enoch, the Testaments of the Twelve Partiarchs, and also in the synoptic gospels and in the Shepherd of Hermas. The Society gets this one wrong, as they think the demons are the same as the fallen angels before the Flood, in conflict with statements like Jude 6. The Jewish view on demons is more logically coherent -- they seek unclean fleshly bodies because they lost their own, and they induce people to sin because they desire sin themselves. It also makes it easier to appreciate the irony in the story of Jesus and the legion of demons in Mark 5. The demons desire the swine because it is an unclean animal. And the swine go over the cliff and drown -- precisely the same kind of death the Nephilim experienced originally, drowning in the Flood.

• Farkel
    Farkel

The Watchtower Corporation teaches that some angels somehow had the "hots" for human females, so they materialized and mated with them, thus producing a hybrid offspring of giants. These offspring were allegedly killed in the flood.

That's fine and dandy, except for several sticky points: angels are sexless according to the Bible. They neither marry, nor are "given" in marriage. Simply stated, Angels should have no desire to boink. This begs the question of how it could be that angels got horny over human women. And WHY JUST women? Why were all those bad old angels leaning towards females and not males? What? No girl angels who wanted to do the nasty with human guys?

There would have to be a hell of a lot of genetic engineering for a spirit creature without a physical form to become not just any human, but a super human who could produce giants on the earth.

Read up on Greek and Roman mythology, even Egyptian mythology and you'll get a good clue where all this fairy tale stuff came from.

For once in my lifetime I can honestly say, this story is NOT Bible-Based(tm)!

Farkel

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Yeah, I remember the day I started talking to a Baptist about this very topic. He had never heard of the Nephilim, and we started to do some research using the KJV... well, to my surprise, I couldn't readily explain that the "sons of God" were angels who had come down to have sex with the womenz of this earth, and that the word "Nephilim" didn't even appear in the KJV. So I was stuck trying to explain that the "sons of God" were angels, and the Nephilim were their hybrid offspring.

Stupid WT and their fantasy stories...

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I think the Neandertals are these Nephimims. I've read recently about the Neandertals, that they were extremely strong and were skilful hunters. They wrote that they were as intelligent as humans. But they do not understand why they disappeared, but humans remained. But I believe this happened in the flood in the days of Noah.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My ex used to call me a nephilim.

W

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Now you know where the WTBTS copied their stories from the book of Enoch. The old WTBTS books have quotes from the book of Enoch. People tracked down this quote through the WTBTS old books.

The Nephilms were on the earth when the two generations started to marry! 6: 4" The Nephilim [b] were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.

The Nephilim were on the earth during the courtship of the the two groups and after the flood; sons of God and daughters of man! Sons of God would have been Seth generation, and the daughters of man could have been daughters of the Nephilium,Cains generation.

• Ohio Nana
    Ohio Nana

On tv not to long ago on the History channel(I think) a show called the Forbidden Books of the Bible.Ones I hadn't heard of some I had. Anyway one of those books had a lot about Nephilim. Not sure but it could have been the Gospel of Jubel(but only a guess).I didn't get to see the whole program but what I saw was very interesting and I want to find a copy or a rerun and watch it all.

O.N.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit