Comments you will NOT hear at the Congregation Bible Study Week Starting March 9

by LUKEWARM 14 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Hi All,

I have recently joined after spending over 12 months lurking – reading posts and evaluating/digesting the truth about the “truth”.

I learned all about Ray Franz here and after reading both of his books feel a great deal of appreciation toward the man for what I can only describe as a labour of love on his part.

I’m grateful to Simon and to you all for the information available here as this has given me the opportunity to gain greater insight and depth to the issues at hand

More details about my situation later, but thought discussion on this week’s material might be in order. I have penned some thoughts and invite your comments please...

Lukewarm________________________________________________________________________

*** lvchap.2pp.1-11HowCanYouMaintainaGoodConscience?***

“Hold a good conscience.”—1 PETER 3:16.

Q1, 2 Why is a compass a vital instrument, and how may it be likened to the conscience? A MARINER steers his ship through the waves of a vast ocean; a hiker treks across a lonely wilderness; an aviator guides his aircraft as it soars above layers of clouds that stretch from one horizon to the other. Do you know what these individuals have in common? Each in his own way might be in big trouble without a compass—especially if other modern technology is not accessible.
    2 A compass is a simple instrument, usually just a dial with a magnetic needle that points northward. When it is working properly and especially when it is used in conjunction with an accurate map, it can be a lifesaver. In some ways, it may be likened to a precious gift that Jehovah has given us—a conscience. (James 1:17) Without a conscience, we would be hopelessly lost. Used properly, it can help us find our way and keep to the right path in life. So let us consider what the conscience is and how it works. Then we can discuss these points: (1) How the conscience may be trained, (2) why we should consider the consciences of others, and (3) how a good conscience brings blessings.

If our conscience is a “precious gift that Jehovah has given us” then why does the WTS make laws and not allow JW’s to exercise it when making decisions?

WHAT THECONSCIENCEISANDHOWITWORKS

Q3 What is the literal meaning of the Greek word for “conscience,” and what unique capacity in humans does it describe?

3 In the Bible, the Greek word for “conscience” literally means “co-knowledge, or knowledge with oneself.” Unlike all other earthly creatures, we possess a God-given capacity to know ourselves. We can, in a sense, stand back and look at ourselves and make moral judgments. Acting as an internal witness bearer, or judge, our conscience can examine our actions, our attitudes, and our choices. It may guide us toward a good decision or warn us against a bad one. Afterward, it may comfort us for choosing well or punish us with sharp pangs for choosing poorly.

Are JW’s “guided” by their conscience or the conscience of WTS and its published material?Q 4, 5 (a) How do we know that Adam and Eve each had a conscience, and what resulted because they ignored God’s law? (b) What examples show the conscience at work in faithful men of pre-Christian times?

4 This faculty was built into man and woman from the very beginning. Adam and Eve each showed that they had a conscience. We see evidence to that effect in the shame they experienced following their sin. (Genesis 3:7, 8) Sadly, a troubled conscience could do them no good by then. They had deliberately ignored God’s law. Thus they knowingly chose to become rebels, opponents of Jehovah God. As perfect humans, they knew what they were doing, and there was no turning back.

Subtle warning to JW’s to never ignore “Gods law” as interpreted for them by the WTS, otherwise they become “rebels and opponents of Jehovah God”

5 Unlike Adam and Eve, many imperfect humans have heeded their conscience. For example, the faithful man Job was able to say: “On my justness I have laid hold, and I shall not let it go; my heart will not taunt me for any of my days.” *(Job 27:6) Job was truly a conscientious man. He was careful to listen to his conscience, letting it guide his actions and decisions. Thus, he could say with real satisfaction that his conscience did not taunt him, or torment him, with shame and guilt. Notice the contrast between Job and David. When David showed disrespect for Saul, Jehovah’s anointed king, “it came about afterward that David’s heart kept striking him.” (1 Samuel 24:5) Those sharp pangs of conscience surely benefited David, teaching him to avoid such disrespect thereafter.

*[Footnote]

No specific word for “conscience” appears in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, the conscience is clearly in evidence in such examples as this one. The expression “heart” generally refers to the inner person. In such instances as this, it evidently points to a specific part of the inner man—his conscience. In the Christian Greek Scriptures, the Greek word rendered “conscience” occurs some 30 times

Can a JW really apply the attitude of Job here and remain in good standing?

Is the Faithful and Discreet slave in the same league as “…Saul, Jehovah’s anointed king”?Q6 What shows that conscience is a gift to all mankind?

6 Does this gift of conscience belong exclusively to servants of Jehovah? Consider the apostle Paul’s inspired words: “Whenever people of the nations that do not have law do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them and, between their own thoughts, they are being accused or even excused.” (Romans 2:14, 15) Even those who are completely unfamiliar with Jehovah’s laws may at times be moved by this internal witness to act in harmony with divine principles.

Interesting that non JW’s “may at times… act in harmony with divine principles”.

At which “times” do they not act in harmony with his will? Q7 Why may the conscience be wrong at times?

7 However, the conscience may in some cases be wrong. Why? Well, if a compass is placed near a metal object, it may be influenced to point in a direction other than north. And if it is used without an accurate map, the compass may be nearly worthless. Similarly, if unduly influenced by the selfish desires of our heart, our conscience may point us in the wrong direction. And if it is used without the sure guidance of God’s Word, we may be unable to distinguish between right and wrong in many important matters. Really, in order for our conscience to work properly, we need the guidance of Jehovah’s holy spirit. Paul wrote: “My conscience bears witness with me in holy spirit.” (Romans 9:1) How, though, can we make sure that our conscience is in harmony with Jehovah’s holy spirit? It is a matter of training.

“…guidance of God’s Word” or what the WTS have printed on a matter?

How does a JW’s get holy spirit or is it only reserved for the annointed?

HOW THECONSCIENCEMAYBETRAINED

Q8. (a) How may the heart affect the conscience, and what should matter most in our decisions? (b) Why is a clear conscience not always sufficient for a Christian? (See footnote.)

8 How do you make a decision that is based on conscience? Some, it seems, simply look within, examine their feelings, and decide what to do. They may then say, “Well, it doesn’t bother my conscience.” The desires of the heart can be very strong, even swaying the conscience. The Bible says: “The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9) What our heart desires, then, should not be the most important consideration. Rather, we want to consider first what will please Jehovah God.*

*[Footnote]

The Bible shows that having a clear conscience is not always sufficient. For example, Paul said: “I am not conscious of anything against myself. Yet by this I am not proved righteous, but he that examines me is Jehovah.” (1 Corinthians 4:4) Even those who persecute Christians, as Paul once did, may do so with a clear conscience because they think that God approves of their course. It is vital that our conscience be both clear in our eyes and clean in God’s eyes.—Acts 23:1; 2 Timothy 1:3.

Q9. What is godly fear, and how may our having it affect our conscience?

9 If a decision is truly based on our trained conscience, it will reflect our godly fear, not our personal desires. Consider a case in point. The faithful governor Nehemiah had a right to exact certain payments and dues from the people in Jerusalem. Yet, he held back. Why? He hated the very thought of risking Jehovah’s displeasure by oppressing God’s people. He said: “I did not do that way on account of the fear of God.” (Nehemiah 5:15) Sincere godly fear, a wholehearted fear of displeasing our heavenly Father, is essential. Such reverential fear will move us to seek direction from God’s Word when we have decisions to make.

“…seek direction from God’s Word…“ or WTS publications and its interpreted conclusions?

How is the WTS showing its concern towards “risking Jehovah’s displeasure” when it continually oppresses JWs - “exacting” and imposing its Pharisaic “dues”?Q10, 11. What Bible principles bear on the matter of drinking alcoholic beverages, and how may we get God’s guidance in applying them?

10 For instance, consider the matter of alcoholic beverages. Here is a decision that many of us face in social settings, Will I drink or not? First, we need to educate ourselves. What Bible principles bear on the matter? Well, the Bible does not condemn the moderate use of alcohol. It praises Jehovah for the gift of wine. (Psalm 104:14, 15) However, the Bible condemns heavy drinking and revelries. (Luke 21:34; Romans 13:13) Moreover, it lists drunkenness among other very serious sins, such as fornication and adultery. *—1 Corinthians 6:9, 10.

*[Footnote]

It should be noted that many doctors say that controlled drinking is not really possible for alcoholics; for them, “moderation” means not drinking.

Can a JW exercise their conscience and partake in “the moderate use of alcohol” at a “social” setting before attending a Christian meeting or going out in service?

11 A Christian’s conscience is educated and sensitized by such principles. So when we face a decision about drinking at a gathering, we ask ourselves such questions as these: ‘What kind of gathering is being organized? Is it likely to get out of hand, becoming a revelry? What are my own tendencies? Do I long for alcohol, depend on it, use it to control my moods and behavior? Do I have the self-control needed to limit my drinking?’ As we ponder Bible principles and the questions they evoke, we do well to pray for Jehovah’s guidance. (Psalm 139:23, 24) In this way, we are inviting Jehovah to guide us with his holy spirit. We are also training our conscience to be in tune with divine principles. There is another factor, though, that should weigh in our decisions.

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of an elder from Italy who ALWAYS drank wine with his meals. (Sometimes you could really tell, a night of a meeting).

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    Can a JW really apply the attitude of Job here and remain in good standing?

good question

btw welcome to jwn

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Welcome Lukewarm!

When I first read the title of your post I thought it was a new version of the comments you will NOT hear at the WT study - but I see it is the Congregation Bible Study - a most mis-named meeting if ever there was one. The folks STILL are NOT studying the Bible free of the WT's mind-control, it is still a BOOK STUDY no matter what the WT calls it; just more WT indoctrination now marketed as 'Bible study'. At least in the past they were honest enough to call it what it was. Thanks for your efforts!

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thank you Lukewarm.

It is good to see what many of our loved ones are being brainwashed with.

Your Bible WT Book study review is a good compliment to Blondie's Watchtower comments.

yesidid

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I hope you make it a regular event.

• besty
    besty

thanks kindly lukewarm

welcome to JWN - stick around and encourage us to greater efforts of apostasy :-)

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

When David showed disrespect for Saul, Jehovah’s anointed king, “it came about afterward that David’s heart kept striking him.” (1 Samuel 24:5) Those sharp pangs of conscience surely benefited David, teaching him to avoid such disrespect thereafter.

Is the Faithful and Discreet slave in the same league as “…Saul, Jehovah’s anointed king”?

Ironically it seems that they compare themselves with Saul. But if this is prophetic they should know how this will end.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

If you want some proper teaching on 1 Peter then watch these.

http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial

All the best,

Stephen

• lrkr
    lrkr

Another classic WT head fake. Yes, yes, conscience is very important. Now acknowledge that you have a really sucky conscience that needs to be trained by us. Obey, obey, obey. (forget about conscience- just obey)

Its amazing how it only takes about 4 paragraphs to completely say the opposite thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit