Only 37% of people raised as JW's stay JW's when adult.....

by My Struggle 16 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

OMG is that true! I left, my sibling left, a couple of cousins who never were baptized left, a couple of cousins who are baptized are still in and more hardline than ever. The cousins kids refuse to go. They think the dubs are nuts.

• jws
    jws

I posted on that article a few months ago. Somebody brought up a good point. It's based on 35,000 people and only 0.7% were JWs. That's only 245 JWs. I think that's kind of a small sampling and leaves a lot of room for statistical errors. I'd like to see the number of JWs surveyed in the 1000's to get a more accurate picture. And I also think a lot more must be known about how they found people to interview. Would that skew the results? Like if they surveyed people on the internet and many JWs may fear the internet, you're not going to get an accurate sampling.

But let's assume they're somewhat on-track. Further stats say 63% have no children. If that's true, they're not even replacing themselves through breeding. And if they are, a high percentage won't stay JW. Combine that with lackluster field service results, deaths, and other people not raised JW, but leave anyway and there should be a steady decline.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The WT Society is also quietly attempting to disappear from the lives of its members but some of them have noticed that something sneaky is going on. It will be interesting to see what the next year or two will bring in Watchtower land.

I completely agree with this statement and I think it's a very important observation. Of course, it's being interpreted by the diehards as "the Society is preparing for the end". Yeah, but not the end most JWs have in mind!

I hope you guys are right! What makes you think this?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    63% of born-in's, would rather be shunned, by all thier family, than stay in the JW cult.

That is a very profound statement.

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

It's based on 35,000 people and only 0.7% were JWs. That's only 245 JWs. I think that's kind of a small sampling and leaves a lot of room for statistical errors.

That is true, but is not a problem from a research standpoint. This would only increase the margin of error, but most likely would not effect the stat being significant or not. Further, I suspect that with the JW's having the lowest retention rate the variance would be at a significant level, even with a high error margin.

• steve2
    steve2

That's only 245 JWs. I think that's kind of a small sampling and leaves a lot of room for statistical errors. I'd like to see the number of JWs surveyed in the 1000's to get a more accurate picture. And I also think a lot more must be known about how they found people to interview. Would that skew the results?

Profesionally trained researchers are well aware of the sampling difficulties with smaller groups within a larger sample. They may "over sample" as a way of compensating for the lower numbers, or advise caution in interpreting the results. This happens when sociologists survey various ethnic minorities who live within a society dominated by one particular ethnic group.

What is interesting about this result is how it resonates with many posters. I was surprised that the percentage remaining was as high as 37% - I would have thought it was a lot lower. I suppose the percentage also includes those who may continue to "identify" with the religion but are not actively involved. I know people locally who have been inactive for years, yet still react as if they're JWs and they would never openly repudiate their faith, yet they are not practising it.

• undercover
    undercover

The WT Society is also quietly attempting to disappear from the lives of its members but some of them have noticed that something sneaky is going on. It will be interesting to see what the next year

or two will bring in Watchtower land.
    I completely agree with this statement and I think it's a very important observation. Of course, it's being interpreted by the diehards as "the Society is preparing for the end". Yeah, but not the end most JWs have in mind!

These are most interesting comments...

How does such a controlling organization quietly attempt to disappear?

I see the obvious cutbacks (like meetings and magazines, cheaper books and less of them) but I think they're restructuring the corporation, not skimming off the profits (what's left) and running off to Tahiti.

I guess only time will tell, but I'd like to hear more about this theory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit