Did there ever come a time where the meetings became unbearable?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh my gosh yes. Towards the end I could hardly sit through the public talk. The WT was just torture to me. Having to listen to those articles and the comments. UGH!

• blondie
    blondie

Toward the end I would disappear into the sister's room. If no one was in there, I would turn off the sound and read some non WT material or listen to my small mp-3 player. Occasionally another sister would come in and we would talk instead of turning up the sound. Even just going to the meetings and seeing the greet and meet after the meeting was too much. What a waste of time.

• dogon
    dogon

You know I never joind the school to give talks. Now looking back I can clearly see that it was because I did not beleive the information. It's hard to give a talk on something you do not feel or agree with.

• oompa
    oompa

I should have mentioned that i guess they were unbearable for me probably from the age of 2...i guess it seemed normal for me to be taken outside and get spanked for not sitting still or making too much noise.....later it went to wooden spoon....and a switch on my bare legs....(in the south a switch is a little skinny tree branch with all the leaves and other tiny limbs pulled off....it leave cute little red stripes on your legs)....oompa

• Robert7
    Robert7
    the prayers are all about the ''faithful and discreet slave''

This used to kill me! EVERY prayer, every WT, all worshipping the FDS. Something was wrong!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

R&R,

I know exactly what you mean, but I think it's important you keep a clear head about things. I remember feeling exactly the same way, it got to the point when I felt like I just couldn't take it anymore, I was screaming in my head, telling myself it was so awful

These things make you feel like you are trapped, inside a world of crazy people who can't see what they believe is ridiculous. You just want to grab your family and run right out the door.

I give you this advice. When I was feeling the same way I made some pretty rash decisions. If I had to do things over again I think I would have taken a lot more care in the way I did things. Everything turned out ok for me (not great, but ok), but I still think I had an overreaction to how "bad" it was. Yeah, the WTS is wrong and it sucks to sit through those meetings. But make sure you do not let the frustration of all those things drive you to making rash decisions.

When you are in that situation it's best to think long term. The most important thing at this point is that you don't believe it anymore (congrats!) and that it holds no real power over you (it may have power over family, but not you!) You do not feel the guilt and shame they try to layer upon you. Take advantage of your freedom and recognize that it's a huge improvement over were you were when they had your mind trapped.

When you first learn it is not the truth your gut reaction is to run for the hills. This can put family relationships in a bad spot. Think long term about how you deal with people, balancing your need to get out of there with your families own feelings.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Up until just recently I was still having to go along to the meetings for other reasons, so what I would do is drop in to the pub next door for a quick pint of beer before rocking up at half time and spending the remaining time making toilet breaks or trying to distract the brothers with my low top. haha Oh dear, I really am wicked, aren't I? :-)

• minimus
    minimus

At the end, the last few months, I couldn't stand listening to the bullcrap drivel. It drove me nuts!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Yes, absolutely UNBEARABLE. In fact, we have to force ourselves to attend the upcoming Memorial. The plan is to be the last in and first out so as to avoid any hounders. Hopefully, we don't have to continue this charade for too much longer.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Once they took anything enjoyable away from me and still expected me to "enjoy" it, the boasting sessions got so I would hope for blizzards to cancel them. About the only thing I liked to hear was someone getting disfellowshipped, incidents like the building of small fires and graffitti in the bathrooms, and when the turnout was in the area of 50 or below.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit