JW sense of Bro-hood.....*sigh wistfully*

by ashitaka 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My sister's future in-laws are threatening that no one will come to their wedding if they don't have it in the Kingdom Hall.

(We're the reason they can't have it in the hall. The soon-to-be newlyweds want us to be in the wedding, plus we're shelling out some major cash for it.)

Don't you just love the JW sense of brotherhood? So warm, you could light a lump of wet logs with it.

ashi

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

In a situation like this, no one wins.

Can you imagine what it would be like at the Kingdom Hall? Somewhat like a great divide between those who will say hello, and those who won't.

Then of course, if the wedding is held somehwere else, the dubs will avoid it. Your sister-in-law can't win either way.

But of course, the Borg doesn't divide families, does it? [8>]

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

You know, the funny thing is, we're merely 'inactive'. We aren't DF'd or DA'd. But, everyone is threatening them now. Know what I say?

F**k 'em.

ashi

• joelbear
    joelbear

There is no witness rule that says weddings have to be held at Kingdom Halls.

This is not an example of witness behavior, but of some sort of power struggle between your sister's in-laws and your family.

Since the bride's family pays for the wedding, the groom's family really has no say in it. They evidently have severe inferiority complexes or they may be using this ploy to build a power base for future influence into your sister and her future husband's lives.

She should see this as a warning sign of things to come and should watch carefully how her fiance reacts to his parents' meddling. It will tell her much about what her future life with him will be like.

Take care

Joel

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Strangely,
    This is exactly what they need to see. All those smiling dub faces turn vicious in the face of non-conformity. Oh let the truth ring out!

Religion n.
    An organisation designed to promote atheism.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    There is no witness rule that says weddings have to be held at Kingdom Halls.

It may depend on which country you're in. Any Dub wedding NOT in a KH here in Oz would be frowned on, to say the least. It's expected that loyal, zealous Witnesses will conduct weddings in Kingdom Halls. The usual retort by an elder to the question "Why?' is "why not?". And we know what they really mean by that, don't we?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• Xena
    Xena

Don't you hate it when people ruin what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your life with their petty bickering?? I was in a wedding once where the maid of honor had been d/fed at one time but was reinstated. The brides inlaws threatened not to attend the wedding and tried to have the elders forbid the use of the hall because of her having been d/fed at one time....geez...course if she had been smart the bride would have bailed when she saw what loons the inlaws were...but that is another story

They just love to inflict their "conscience" on other people don't they??

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

True, everyone. My sister isn't blind, and my future brother-in-law is going to leave the 'troof' after he marries my sister....he's a hell of a guy. Down to earth, and truthful.

And Xena, what you said was right on.

People use their consciences as moral battering rams. Moral abusers, much like the phsyical ones.

ashi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    my future brother-in-law is going to leave the 'troof' after he marries my sister....he's a hell of a guy. Down to earth, and truthful.

Then we can assume your sister is fully informed on this?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would have to say, Ozzie, that weddings in KH's are preferred here. But I have been to weddings on boats, in a mansion in Seattle, a big Pavillion on the water, at several community centers, and other places too. Sometimes it's a family tradition (parents married there too), or convenience.........more room, reception can be at the same location, and so on. Usually, there is the regular gossip about "why couldn't they use the KH? They must have committed fornication." ARGHHH!! So GLAD I'm out of there.

Oh and Ashitaka: those weddings were FULL of happy, partying witnesses. Don't worry. They'll come.

In our area, they must have been very liberal. I've been to several weddings where the bridesmaids and groomsmen were not all dubs. Brothers and sisters of the bride and groom, who weren't witnesses. How can they tell them they can't be in it? I'm sure they do.

Our daughter wanted to use the music from Somewhere in Time for her wedding, and they said "Only Kingdom Melodies". GRRRRR. Oh well.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit