JW top a "Belief in demon activity" poll

by inkling 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yall remember back 10 or more years when the wt put out those articles about demons.......... and how in some african villiage they were extremely active........ they made some comment about a dogs head being twisted backwards and it looked like it grew that way or some such nonsense?

that magazine scared the living sh** out of my sister.............. that is the reason that she got baptised............ they made out that the only protection you would have from demons like this was if you were baptised and only then could you call on jehovah to protect you.

assholes using fear to get people to join up and then useing guilt to keep them there in line. guess thats proof that devils and demons are among us......... the wtbts is their leader

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

If (as all these crazy fundies insist) atheism is a 'religion' shouldn't we be counted on there? What about satanist?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Wow, this is straight out of the dark ages, along with fear of black cats and reading chicken guts. I often wonder how this stuff still gets traction in a modern 21st century society .

• done4good
    done4good
    It's a common misconception amongst Christians that Jews believe in demonic entities the same way Christians do. For the most part, Jews do not believe in a literal 'Satan the Devil' in the same way Christians do. While conceding that there could be dark forces out there, they do not take the figure that was introduced in the Garden of Eden or in the story of Job as being literal.

Yeah, I guess this is somewhat new to me, and I am glad it came up.

But didn't the Jews of the Bible take those things literally? Jesus sure did!
    (and I seem to recall him being somewhat Jewish...) And, he cast demons out
    of Jews of his time, who clearly had no problem believing epilepsy was caused
    by demonic possession...

So why did the Jews "grow out" of this foolishness, but most Christians have yet to?

[inkling]

This is where the whole bible thing all begins to fall apart. To better understand the ancient Hebrew period, do some research on two things:

Elohist

Jahwist

The whole disconnect concerning the early Jews, (and their connection to everything else that came later, including Christianity), will begin to make a lot more sense.

j

• dogon
    dogon

It's no suprise that dubbers are among the highest in believing in lions, tigers and bears. It's pounded into their head year after year as a scare tactic to keep the R&F in line. I would say that the few that did not totaly agree are member on this board.

• undercover
    undercover

It doesn't surprise me to see JWs at the top, though I would have thought Evangelical churches would have had a higher percentage.

Then again, this shows just how out of whack JWs are compared to the rest of the church-going folks.

I remember the horror stories of "demon activity". Why do you think that threads about burning/destroying/discarding music collections pop up every so often? And threads about what movies/TV shows we weren't allowed to watch because they were "demonized"?

I had a real fear of demons when I was growing up. Only after freeing myself of JWism did I realize that I was afraid of something that didn't exist. It was an irrational fear of things imagined and not real.

It's like a 4 year old being afraid of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz, but at some point they grow out of it and realize there's no such thing as flying monkeys who work for Wicked Witches. Except JWs never grow out of their fear of the flying monkeys...they keep on believing in them... and the Wicked Witch. And that fear is represented in this poll.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit