Neither atheists nor theists but still moral

by hamilcarr 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Why should it come as a surprise that the lack of religious influence in everyday life doesn't make a difference in the moral values that people hold?

One of the most irritating things I deal with is the widespread presumption in the United States that:

1. theism (in particular Christianity) is synonomous with morality

and

2. that agnosicism/atheism/humanist values preclude morality

Both assumptions are patently false. I have to say that most of the agnostics/atheists I know have extremely high, unbending moral values.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

It is an interesting article. I think it is a reflection of the cultural homogeneity in those, and similar countries. I think the same could be said of Japan, for example. Much of the religious angst that characterizes the United States (an oxymoron?) is because it was conquered and settled by culturally and ethnically distinct groups. Fundamentalism and Atheism (with a capital A) are polar opposites that feed off each other's reactionary message. I do suspect that the silent majority are somewhere in the middle, much like our Danish and Swedish cousins. The political system in turn feeds off the divisive rhetoric, promoting morality as an election issue while subtly manufacturing consent for an a-moral, if not wholly immoral, socio-economic system, supported by the myth of a "classless" society. Such is life in the Empire.

Dave

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I do suspect that the silent majority are somewhere in the middle, much like our Danish and Swedish cousins.

Primate Dave, your whole statement is very sensible and a good understanding and observation of what goes on in these not so United States. I especially agree with your words in quotes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit