Powerless

by cameo-d 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Jeremiah 10:23

23 Lord, I know that a man doesn't control his own life.
    He doesn't direct his own steps.

Doesn't this put down seem to be controlling?

Isn't it designed for you to give up your own authority , intuition, inquisitiveness, and promote a lack of common sense and dependency on someone else?

Doesn't it leave you as prey for those to portend to speak for this mysterious god?

If you tell a child that he's stupid, won't he grow up always feeling inept and inadequate?

Aren't these verses designed to strip you of your power and creative thinking?

What other verses can you find that are contrived specifically to disable and dis-empower the people?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good Morning, cameo:

What I once spoke with confidence and stated in the affirmative has been demoted to vague concepts rattling around in the brain, unlikely to become a new belief system emerging any time soon as a straightforward declaration from the lips.

Because of mankind's apparent predisposition toward worship, I, since early childhood, reverenced God and sensed my dependence upon him. It was natural, not drummed into me by adults, Bible in hand. I continue to hold onto basic, inherent spiritual sensibilities in a wholly subjective manner.

Starting from square one, my striding from religious susceptibility to critical thinking is a road chockful of potholes.

Good question ...

CoCo

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I think it could mean we can't control (or even perceive) all the externalities that control our actions or decisions and restrain our free will.

• abbagail
    abbagail

I agree w/Hamilcarr on that explanation. As I remember the wording from the old WT bible: "It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his steps," ie, we can't see the "big picture," the future, etc. We can map out a plan (which is good) and strive ahead to accomplish it, but no way to tell what tomorrow may bring (that's the "man cannot direct his steps" part). Hence, reliance on God for guidance is the key and the whole point.

However, as I recall, WT did have us using that verse in a NEGATIVE sense w/house to house visits, to show that no way that world leaders can solve the problems of the world, etc.

S imilar verse as the one in Jeremiah:

A man's steps [are] of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way? - Prov. 20:24

Answer:

A man's heart plan s his way, But the LORD directs his steps. - Prov. 16:9 And beautiful sentiment, CoCo. "Cast all your cares upon Him, because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7
  • possible-san
    possible-san

Hi, cameo-d.

Your explanation and question are very reasonable.

I think that that Scripture is teaching us, in short, "man needs to depend on God's guidance."

Although you criticized before, the address of my website is written as "God presence within."
    Therefore, it means that that God (God presence within you) leads (guides) him.
    And it means "He believes himself" with believing in that God.

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes we need the Watchtowers guidance before we can take a crap, check the index to see which hand you can wipe with........and who wrote the Watchtower? Imperfect "anionted" men who can't "direct his own steps." What a load of crap!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Those words were written thousands of years ago by someone from a very different culture and way of thinking than we are used to. Previous societies (and a few current ones) saw their lives as much more subject to fate than we modern Westerners do. The idea that we can control our own destiny is relatively modern and would not have occurred to the writer of that scripture.

• Cautious Dove
    Cautious Dove

"Do not put your trust in nobles (elders, COs, DOs, GB, F&DS) to whom no salvation belongs" - somewhere in the Bible, don't know where off hand. Respect people in authority yeah. Trust them to run every aspect your spiritual life for you. Nah. It's not scriptural for one thing.

• oompa
    oompa

Actually i think this scripure is saying to not think you know everything so listen to gods good principles...

and cautious dove....i love that scripture "do not put your trust in nobles" ...we should never be controlled or listen to other men who think they are better than us and want to make all the rules....like elders and FDS.......oompa

how would an elder or GB/FDS explain that script away?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit