May 15th Watchtower - New Light?

by slimboyfat 50 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The new Watchtower asks the question: "When was Satan cast out of heaven? - Rev 12:1-9"

And the answer it gives is: "So, then, the Bible does not reveal the exact time when Satan and his demons were expelled from heaven. Nevertheless it is evident that this event closely followed the enthronement of Jesus Christ in heaven in 1914."

I thought Satan was supposed to have been thrown out of heaven in 1918. Is that not right? I always thought it strange because, how could Satan have caused the First World War if he was not expelled from heaven until it ended. But there is no mention of 1918 at all in this artcile. So is this "new light"? Have they got rid of 1918?

If so it might indicate a desire on the part of those on the writing committee to distance themselves from some of the more speculative aspects of their chronology. They already ditched 1935 as a date having any significance a couple of years ago. Maybe they will also get rid of the ridiculous interpretation of the "days" of the book of Daniel they maintain correspond to convention dates at the moment too. It would be great if they got rid of 1914 and the wonky chronology altogether, but that might be a step too far depending on who sets the agenda at the top.

• DNCall
    DNCall

1914 is the only date that has ever been associated with Satan's ouster from heaven as far as I can recall.

DNCall

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

It's pretty clear that over the years the BORG's stock in trade is pulling dates and interpretations out of their collective ass. Or, to be more theocratically precise their "composite" ass.

What is probably brewing is exactly what you've suggested--they are setting up their ducks so that they can distance themselves from unsustainable explanations and also deny/rewrite BORG history.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Satan coming to Earth was what caused WWI, according to my memory. Therefore, it couldn't have been 1918. Right?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    1914 is the only date that has ever been associated with Satan's ouster from heaven as far as I can recall.

My bad if that is the case. I thought I remembered otherwise.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I found a quote from Then is The Finished Mystery of God, page 314:

The ouster of the "great dragon" and his demons from heaven was apparently fully accomplished by the end of World War I. According to Revelation 11:1, 2, the "holy city" was trampled on by the Gentile nations "for forty-two months," from autumn of 1914 to the spring of 1918.
  • DNCall
    DNCall
    I always thought it strange because, how could Satan have caused the First World War if he was not expelled from heaven until it ended.

Jesus supposedly was enthroned on October 2, 1914 when the Gentile Times ended, several months after the outbreak of WWI. Supposedly, one of his first acts as King was to throw Satan and his demons out of heaven. So, given this timeline, Satan was still too late to have caused WWI.

DNCall

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

this is interesting, I'll be hitting my WT CD tonight. I still have all my literature as well

• Mary
    Mary

As far as I know, they've always taught that Satan was cast down to the earth in 1914:

w70 12/15 p. 757 par. 28 End of Worldwide Witnessing Gets Nearer: "After his enthronement in heaven, World War I on earth was overshadowed by the fact that "war broke out in heaven" and Satan was cast down to the earth

w07 1/1 p. 27 par. 9 'The First Resurrection"-Now Under Way: "There we read that the newly enthroned Jesus Christ, along with his holy angels, wages war against Satan and his demons. (Revelation 12:7-9) As this journal has often shown, that battle began in 1914

w97 5/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers: "Remember that according to Revelation 12:9, 10, with the establishment of God's heavenly Kingdom in 1914, Satan was cast down to the vicinity of the earth."

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Watchtower's "truth" is in direct opposition to what Jesus said.

Luke 10:18

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    Jesus said to them, "I watched Satan fall from heaven like lightning.

King James Bible
    And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

During the time when Jesus walked the earth, Satan's expulsion was already a PAST event.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit