Angry Christians.

by Anti-Christ 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I still don't understand what some people who call themselves Christians think they are accomplishing when they start to insult you and call you a "demonic nitwit" or something similar. I don't get it, I think they are adults but the act like a child having a fit. Why do they get insulted when we question their beliefs? I did say the bible was B.S. or something like that and I said it had interesting stories and legends but also contain a lot of crazy things. Is this insulting? It's just a book it's not like the person wrote it themselves. I don't get upset when someone says that the theory of evolution is ridiculous or B.S. I'm not the one who formulated it. What is it that I don't get?

I know a lot of Christians are not like this.

• Scully
    Scully

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and you have a Constitutionally protected right to choose what you believe or don't believe. Everyone in Canada has those rights.

Your beliefs are based on evidence, things that are empirically provable. Other people take things on faith, not requiring the evidence that you and I require.

It seems to me that when someone accepts a belief (or a set of beliefs) on faith alone, evidence that trumps their beliefs rattles the cage and causes cognitive dissonance. Rather than examine the evidence and have to modify their beliefs as a result, they attack the messenger.

I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty much pointless to debate with believers. Maybe their faith/belief is a kind of security blanket that gives them a measure of comfort and security that I personally derive from examining evidence and coming to rational conclusions.

• Scully
  • Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I agree Scully and this is something I thought of but at the same time I feel bad to think this of them. I was once a believer and I would most of the time examine what I knew and what the other person brought to the table. I remember one occasion out preaching, two college students said some interesting tings that got me thinking, I never felt threaten because I was quite sure in my beliefs until then. For me it was always a question of knowledge, I believe that most people did not accept the bible because of their lack of knowledge now I know it is the other way around. I guess I expect to much from people.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

thanks for the video, I have seen it before but it's nice to look at it again, I just love that guy is hysterically accurate.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Anti-Christ: "Why do they get insulted when we question their beliefs? I did say the bible was B.S. or something like that and I said it had interesting stories and legends but also contain a lot of crazy things. Is this insulting? It's just a book it's not like the person wrote it themselves. I don't get upset when someone says that the theory of evolution is ridiculous or B.S. I'm not the one who formulated it. What is it that I don't get?"

Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that people object to. It's easy on a faceless forum to let fly statements that you would never say in front of an actual person. The Christians on this board sometimes do the same thing. Courtesy and respect don't have to go out the window when disagreements occur.

BTW, I'm an atheist, and I've often written angry posts myself. I'm glad you brought the subject up. It's a good reminder to kindly "agree to disagree" with other posters when touchy subjects are discussed.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

When a nation has the creed of "one nation under God" and you do not believe in that god, you are odd man out.

Sure, everyone has a "right to their opinion", but if your opinion differs from the status quo, especially about this 'national god'....are you still protected by laws of the country?

President Bush (the First)
    "Atheists Are Not Citizens"
    Documents Found

For seventeen years, people have been asking me for proof that a conversation took place between Vice President Bush and me in which George H. W. Bush told me that atheists should not be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic, because this country is "One nation under God." Copies of correspondence about that issue have now been located.

A team of archivists went to work on the matter right away. Within a couple of hours, they had found the documents. They are archived as Item # CF01193-002. They'd be glad to send me a copy, but I'd have to send in an FOI (Freedom of Information Act) request. Due to a backlog of requests, it would take about two years for them to get the documents to me.

http://www.robsherman.com/information/liberalnews/2004/0204.htm

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that people object to. It's easy on a faceless forum to let fly statements that you would never say in front of an actual person. The Christians on this board sometimes do the same thing. Courtesy and respect don't have to go out the window when disagreements occur.

I get how you say something might influence a persons reaction but honestly this is the way I speak, I was told that I'm brutally honest, I don't think so but I can get why some would say that. I say what I think and I say it in a way that I would like it said to me, I don't like beating around the bush, tel me what you really think. I very very rarely intentionally insult someone , I might not respect what they believe by calling something crazy but I don't apologize for this, I do feel bad that the person takes it personally but at the same time I have no control over how someone might interpret something I said. I agree that it's always good to remain polite.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Think about it for a second:

If it were true that there is a god who will burn you in hell for all eternity, then it would be INSANE for someone to NOT go around giving all sorts of stern warnings and mocking everyone who did not believe it!

Imagine if you knew a bunch of people who thought it would be perfectly safe to walk in front of a speeding train. You'd say they were NUTS too! These religious people, from their perspective, are just doing the same thing

I'm amazed there are not MORE religious people going around executing people who talk against the church. When you get down to it, if the church was right about hell and eternal damnation, it would be illegal to talk against the church.

Fortunately cooler heads have prevailed... for the most part.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Interesting point

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit