U2 cancels Austrian Tour due to JW Convention

by Bumble Bee 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Heard this on the radio today, the announcers called it a JW Christening, and it was funny listening to them talk about JW's.

U2's Vienna comeback gig snubbed by Jehovah's Witnesses

February 17, 2009

Source: Austrian Times

Thomas Hochwarter

Rock superstars U2 will not have a Vienna live comeback appearance this year as a Jehovah's Witnesses' event is blocking the stadium on the band's preferred days.

The Irish four-piece reportedly planned to return to Austria on 7 or 8 August to perform at Vienna's 51,000-seat Ernst Happel Stadium. However, the religious group has already leased the venue to hold a mass christening on both those days.

It is now looking unlikely the band will perform in Austria this year since all the other 120 concert dates of the upcoming tour are already in the planning stage.

Tickets for U2's Vienna concert in summer 2005 were sold out within minutes.

U2 will release their 12th studio album "No line on the horizon" on 27 February. According to singer Bono Vox, the band stepped into unknown territory with their new material. He said: "The new songs sound different than anything we have done in the past – they are simply better."

(c) Austrian Times, 2009.

• free2think
    free2think

LOL that's gonna make the jw's verrrrrry popular.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I bet the Stadium would love to give the witnesses the boot.

All that money they could have been making.

purps

• shamus100
    shamus100

I think they should team up with U2, and have Bill Maher do a stand-up act in lieu of they're shitty little play. I bet more people would come.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think they could work a deal, yeah, and Bono could work this song in the Drama somehow

and then have a nice commentary from the DO about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq4Jh39KJ8U

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Maybe they could play "Until the End of the World" for them.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You know how many converts the WT could get if U2 performed ALL the Kingdom Melodies at the convention?

• wobble
    wobble

Not nearly as many as U2 would get FROM the WT to them!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I have seen where jw DCs scheduled for 3 consecutive weeks, find other events between the 2nd and 3rd convention and have to take down the stage, etc. and then put things back up. The WTS schedules out some time ahead. U2 must have been dallying in their scheduling. The WTS certainly signed a contract and it would be bad for people owning convention sites not to honor them. In their mind, money is money.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Aww, who would want turn down a convention over U2, afterall they are free compared to the $120.00 a ticket and all the spiritual food??? LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit