JW Table at College Fair

by Sparkplug 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

The school I attend had a fair of some sort and while stolling past the different groups available such as the art club, or gaming, media, poetry, Baptist youth group...I was ever so suprised to find a table actually two filled with JW liturature. First I about puked, paniced a bit and after composing myself, I strolled over.

This was insane. So many new books and Bibles in all languages and the two standing behind the table were not young. Not studentlike.

So I picked up a foreign language bible of sorts and looked for the publishing company. It said something very vauge and said something like, "bible students".

I just put the book down and when they stopped to "help" me, I muttered something about selling bible propoganda in colleges and didn't JW's viewpoints contradict college. Shook my head a bit more and left before they could stop me and I would get ill just talking to them.

My son said he saw the same people a while back and when pressed a bit he said to them, "I'm apostate and a few unsavory words and no thank you." Geeze, I cannot even get through school without the borg popping up everywhere.

One of my clients is losing her sibling to the witnesses and well it just keeps coming up.

Odd. And seeing it all makes me a bit ill still, I am not appreciating it.

• blondie
    blondie

This is not unusual. Depending on the rules of the university, many groups are allowed to set up tables, religious, political, etc. In this area they are not allowed to approach people but only talk to people who approach their table.

I figure I have to trust that people have enough smarts to be cautious. Otherwise I would be out there every weekend knocking on doors doing anti-witnessing.

Blondie

• mouthy
    mouthy

I remember one of my studies was a woman that was a cook at the College .they had a Fair.
    She set up a table with WT Bibles, truth?book, WT,Awakes. etc
    I commended her for giving the Truthto the College kids.

I know! I know! Shame on me.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Sheep in wolves clothing. Bait and switch tactics. They actually deny IN YOUR FACE things that are taught (college is discouraged) and hardcore doctrines. That's the "theocratic warfare strategy" they use so well.

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

I remember in the DC area they had a thing for doing this at a local community college. Like you said the ones maning the tables aren't young like the students. These are the older pioneers getting their time in just standing around, sometimes it was an elder that was an underground pioneer. You know one who goes out by himself all the time (supposedly) and always has his time. They are hoping for someone to talk to even for a second. They have their bait lines out. How's school going? Hope you are being a good listener! Wish you the best, glad you didn't get sick on their pretty table display.

Kit

• Quandry
    Quandry

Wouldn't it be interesting to go up and ask them, "So, are you here to encourage young people to attend college?" or "What is the OFFICIAL WTS view on getting a college education?"

Too bad you couldn't go up and stick a large piece of paper on the front of the table that says ASK THESE PEOPLE ABOUT THE WTS VIEW ON COLLEGE EDUCATIONS or ASK WHAT A COLLEGE EDUCATION AND A SHOTGUN TO THE BRAIN HAVE IN COMMON TO THE WTS.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

So far I haven't seen the JWs at the college I attend, but I've seen them with a table outside of Walmart. I stopped by their display of books and magazines and asked if they had the Book of Mormon. Surpisingly all they said was no. I thought for sure they would tell me I had the wrong religion and identify themselves as JWs. In fact they didn't even ask me if I wanted some of their literature.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've seen them at CSUN and local malls. Still blind and deaf to reasoning

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses want everyone in the colleges to join their cult, and yet then they will have to drop out of college upon doing so (or get hounded). Perhaps it's time for college administrators to smarten up--those cockroach witlesses are a threat to their livelihood.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

This is common in my area at community colleges. I've never known of them to go private colleges or state universities. But I've wondered the same thing...if the colleges would let the JWs set up shop if they knew they do not support higher education. I personally know of 5 people that started studying with the witness while attending a university and then dropped out before or shortly after getting baptized.

There was bible student at mom's congo that was also a law student. The study conductor made it very clear to her that if she didn't plan to use her skills at Bethel then she should consider dropping out to pursue the kingdom. Of course, this was around the time of her getting baptized and at that point she begin to say that the JWs were a cult. So the elders had someone else study with her, she got baptized at the next CA. Then the pressure to not pursue the world but God's kingdom started again. It was difficult for her to keep up with her studies, the meetings and service. She treated service like community volunteer work, a few hours a month. They were all over her about what was more important to her. She left after 8 months or so after she got baptized, stating she no longer wanted anything to do with the witnesses. I don't remember her ever getting announced from the platform.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit