How's the economy where you live?

by Quirky1 23 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Makes Mississippi look better and better all the time!

I could never recommend that someone move to my home state, with a clean conscience. We have warm weather and cheap real estate, but you can do much better than here. I have family obligations that will keep me here for years, but I can think of much better places to be.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I could never recommend that someone move to my home state, with a clean conscience. We have warm weather and cheap real estate, but you can do much better than here. I have family obligations that will keep me here for years, but I can think of much better places to be.

...if you've been reading about the power struggle and number of murders, kidnappings taking place on the southern border, it would appear that the US will have a major problem with violence that might reasonably be seen in a war of sorts along those regions. If that's not enough to deal with, states that are in drought are in a precarious position already as they can't handle the population they have, suburbs are becoming ghost towns and with reduced revenue one can reasonably expect reduced services and failing infrastruture. I'm thinking California, Texas, Arizona for a start.

As revenue falls, layoffs in security and safety fall - police and fire services will have to be cut back. That's to be expected. The empty stores and malls will become a good place for drifters to settle as people move closer to the cities in order to survive. Sooner or later, in order to save water, resources will only trickle into the burbs in order to ensure sufficient water for those living in major cities.

People thinking of a good place to move to should look ahead to what might occur in the next 3 years and not just allow the price of housing to drive them if they want to avoid what may become, much social and civil unrest. IMHO....sammieswife.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I live in suburban Atanta. The main thing that I have noticed is that our area has been hit very hard by home foreclosures. I have 2 homes across the street from me that have been foreclosed on and there are many, many more in the general area. We recently refinanced our mortgage and in the appraisal process they could find no comparable homes that had sold in the area in the past year or so that were not foreclosures. Real estate is absolutely dead here except for the super low bargains people are picking up from the foreclosure heap.

Home building has come to a complete halt in the Atlanta area. There are many, many new neighborhoods that are sitting only half finished with empty homes. One new neighborhood very near me has about 20 empty homes and one home with a family that moved in. I feel sorry for them.

I was in Wal-Mart today. It was fairly busy. I was also in a Lowe's. Not very busy. And it was a beautiful, sunny day here in Atlanta. Normally Lowe's would be very busy with people working on projects around their house.

My husband works for a major utility. He has had to let go several contract employees and has had to lower the wages on other contract employees. One of his largest projects has been put on hold. And there are all kinds of tensions and frustrations at work relating to budget and spending. I have never seen him have these kinds of problems at work before. And he has worked for this company for the whole 29 years that I have known him.

I only know 2 people personallly that are out of work but they have had NO success in finding new jobs. Absolutely nothing. One has been out of work for about 11 months. The other one has been out of work for 5-6 months. These are men with great work records and good experience.

I know one person that works for the State of Georgia. They are furloughing employees once a month.

I have heard of 2 job fairs in Downtown Atlanta in the past 7-8 weeks. They have had thousands of people show up for only a few hundred jobs.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

What I find really disturbing as well is the credit card slashing.

We don't carry balances but in the USA your credit cards are one of the key proponents of your credit score and let's face it, in the USA you are only as good as that score. They check it when you apply for rent, at some hospitals now, loans..pretty well any chance they get.

So far we've had 2 credit cards just cancelled. Got a letter from the companies that just said - destroy the cards. That was fine, no balances and they were ones that were used infrequently so that's fine. Now we got a shocker. I got my credit card statement for another active card, went online to pay it and suddenly they dropped my credit limit on it from 5,000 down to 300.00. No warning, no reason. Nothing. A friend of ours in his small business, owed a few thousand on his 20,000 business card - he paid off what he owed as usual and the cut him down to 500.00 the next month. He uses it for business and travelling so this poses a big problem.

We got a notice that the rates for one card were going from about 7% on cash and new purchases to 29.5%.

I hear some banks are also charging unemployed people a fee to take money out of their unemployment debit card accounts. The economy isn't going to perk up if they keep blind siding people like this...companies can't access their line of credit, their credit cards are cut...sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit