First century governing body?

by lostsheep82 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bud2114
    bud2114

It is a lie to say that a GB existed in the 1st century and was directed by Holy Spirit to make decisions and oversee the goings on of the various congregations that existed then. The scriptures show that the older men in Jerusalem met a single time with Paul and Barnabas over an issue brought up in the far away Antioch congregation by two rogue Jewish brothers who visited and insisted that all Christians must keep the Jewish circumcision tradition (see Acts chapt. 15 and Gal. chapt. 2).

Interestingly, Paul's account of this meeting (Gal. 2) shows that it was by revelation that he went there apparently to correct these older men on this issue - not the other way around. The meeting ended and an apology letter was drafted and sent with two representatives to accompany Paul and Barnabas back to the Antioch congregation. Other than this letter written specifically for the Antioch congregation (also shared with congs. in Syria and Cilicia), there is not even a hint anywhere in the scriptures that a GB existed or had anything to do with what Paul or Timothy, or Philip or many other individuals were doing as representatives of Jesus.

Galations 1 shows that it was 3 years after being appointed by Jesus himself that Paul finally ventured to Jerusalem and during his 2 week stay with Cephas he saw "... no one else of the apostles, only James the brother of the Lord." What? Are you kidding me? You mean that the spirit directed Governing Body of older men who existed then and were in control of everything didn't want a full report?

Galations 2 shows that 14 years later Paul again went to Jerusalem with Barnabas (and the uncircumcised Titus) as a result of a Revelation to set the older men straight on the circumcision issue that the "...false brothers brought in quietly, who had sneaked in to spy upon our freedom..." had brought up in Paul's home congregation in Antioch. Again, your telling me that Paul operated for 14 years independent of the the spirit directed Governing Body of older men who existed then and were in control of everything? And he was allowed to carry on and was not disfellowshipped for apostasy? Wonder what would happen if a sincere brother like Paul went before the modern day GB and offered correction to them?

There is no sciptural basis for how the GB operates today and it is a lie for them to state that there is.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

After the death of Jesus, the Apostles functioned as a "governing body." They were appointed by Jesus to lead the Church and the ministry. This in no way legitimizes JW claims. Their leadership bears no relationship with historical Christianity.

BTS

• possible-san
    possible-san

The Japan branch of Jehovah's Witnesses translates into "Touchi tai" the word "Governing Body."
    But it is not a general translation word in Japanese.

The general translation word in Japanese of "Governing body" is a "board of directors" (Riji kai) or a "top-level executives" (Shunou bu).

Probably, isn't that word (Governing body) used in such a meaning in English?
    For example, "the governing body of a company", "the governing body of a university", etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governing_body

Therefore, I think that that word (Governing body), originally, is unrelated to the Scriptures.

possible
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

There are plenty of "Older men" in the first century but no Governing body. I love how Paul contrdicted Acts 15.

• oompa
    oompa

tag....good info here

• chicken little
    chicken little

Soooooooooooo. What happened to the so called governing body after the destruction of Jerusalem? Any ideas? The society keep quiet about that.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Soooooooooooo. What happened to the so called governing body after the destruction of Jerusalem? Any ideas? The society keep quiet about that.

Its CLASS TIME Borgbots! We shall call this class, "Bullshit 102: The Faithful and Discreet Slave has Always Existed" (LOL)

At Gilead, David Splane gave this lecture to our class, entitiled, "The 1900 Year Old Faithful and Discreet Slave". I am told it is one of the oldest Gilead lectures, dating well back in some form.

The whole point was to give a deeper indoctrination into the authority structure of the borg. It starts in Acts 15, where selected verses are expounded upon. Of course, Freddie Franz's observations about the Antioch elders sending forth Paul and others was not even touched. After the death of the Apostle John, the "Great Apostasy" set in, and the GB was lost.

I had often asked myself why it was necesarry to teach that the FD Slave existed between the 1st and 20th centuries at all. This is to tie together a bunch of theological air pockets. The GB teaches that the wheat and weed parables of Jesus refer to the annointed only. Thus, because Jesus said at Mt 13:30 to "Let them both grow together" (referring to the wheatlike annointed, and the weedlike apostates), that creates a problem. They are saying that some annointed Christians have always existed, hidden among the weeds, in between the 2nd and 20th centuries, in essence, growing together, one not discernable from the other. (!!)

Thus, they teach that it would be impossible for a GB to operate during this time of apostasy, even though some annointed ones did exist that would make up the 144,000. (for example, the GB off the record feel that Tyndale was one of the annointed, although that isn't official, for obvious reasons.....)

They use this prophecy to teach that only two periods of time would genuine annointed be visible, the 1st century, and the last days of the 20th (now 21st) century. (....and counting.)

(As I write this, I am having a very strange "WTF" moment. Did I ever really believe this? Wow....)

Anyway, that is in brief the borgs explanation of the GB and its existence. The FD Slave has always been around, but the GB could only be identified in 2 distinct periods.

This bullshit teaching is so full of holes that it insults Swiss Cheese and Sonny Corleone......

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's over there, in the vatican. The one in new york is a young apostate upstart.

S

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Jeff,

Barber gave that BS FDS talk during my class. As I mentioned in my WT Comments video, this lecture set off the red flags...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKKM_aa_j4

• lostsheep82
    lostsheep82

Thanks for all your comments. This forum is so amazing. I just didn't see a dictatorship like the JW GB back then, I don't think Jesus would have approved. YOu are all great:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit