911 dispatchers -- is it just me or they just really slow on the uptake?

by Alpaca 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

What part of "send the police" is so difficult?

The 911 dispatcher talking with the woman, whose friend was being attacked by the chimpanzee, responded like a total moron to the pleas for help.

I realize that the dispatchers need to get the callers to respond as calmly as possible to their questions. And, I also realize that most of the 911 dispatchers do an incredible job. They are probably the unsung heroes in emergencies.

But, it seems like nearly everytime one of these 911 exchanges between a dispatcher and caller is released to the public the dispatcher sounds like an idiot.

I really hope I never have to deal with one of them.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Where can it be heard? I missed it. My sister was a 911 dispatcher and she found it was necessary to determine a crackpot from a sane person. With as many calls as they have they must do some initial screening. I'd love to hear this one. Is it on youtube? I'll look. W. Once

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I have encountered a couple of 911 ops and they were dumb as damn bricks.

One wanted to argue with me about my address because I was using a neighbor's phone and the address came up differently on her screen. I mean argue! Like why I am using someone else's phone? What is my explanation for THAT? Never mind someone might be hanging between life and death...I am supposed to stop and explain why in this age of cell phones I am not using my own phone.

Another one ---a different time---asks me to REPEAT my address when I know damn well it's coming up on her caller ID already anyway!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Side thought: As you listen to that tape, imagine yourself relying on the police to provide protection for you and your family.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think they send the police while they're still talking to the person. If I recall correctly, she said at the beginning, "He's KILLING her!" I would guess they dispatched the cops right then.

Reflection--repeating back what a person just told you--is an effective calming technique. It sounds stupid to a calm, uninvolved observer--sounds like the person listening is a real dummy.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I heard the whole call. At one point it sounded like the 911 operator almost cracked up with a giggle. What a nightmare.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'll bet they're almost as slow as the poster of jwd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit