Is there a better author of children's books than Dr. Seuss?

by JimmyPage 18 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

When my oldest son was little, we loved the Indian in the Cupboard books. Lynn Reid Banks rules! But we also loved Gary Paulson (Hatchet) and Judy Blume.

I really like Dr. Seuss but none of my kids have ever been into him. A little children's book that always makes me cry is Love You Forever.

As a girl, I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

At our local library, they had an entire section of Newberry Award books, so I'd just check them out, knowing they would be good. I liked The Wheel on the School.

A couple of other books, not award winning but I really like them for girls, are Understood Betsy and Miss Hickory. And I loved the Swiss Family Robinson! Ah, yes, the good old days, before I had kids, when I could just sit and read.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

My DS17 who is developmentally disabled's favorite book is Jamberry.

One berry, Two berry, pick me a blueberry,

Hatberry, shoeberry, in my canoeberry.....

StAnn

• musky
    musky

Who was the author of "Revelation, its grand climax at hand!"?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Roald Dahl books are pretty good.

My faves as a child were Enid Blyton books.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Two that stand out from my childhood (about age 8 or 9) Gon-Away Lake, and the sequel Return to Gone-Away by Elizabeth Enright.

Coffee

• annalice
  • annalice
    annalice

I always loved Bill Peet.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Kenneth Grahame, author of The Wind in the Willows. Everything you need to know about life is in there.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I had "Wind in the Willows" but never read it. No wonder I have so much to learn about life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit