Unity & the noosphere (by a Jesuit palentol...

by Abaddon 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I was introduced by means of a reference in a novel to a French scientist, theologian and philosopher, Teilhard de Chardin (1881 - 1955). I've not actually read any of the guy's stuff, as I only today got round to having a look on the Internet, but it's interesting stuff.

As a paleontologist, de Chardin has a rather dodgy past - he was either taken in by or part of the Piltdown Man conspiracy. As a theologian he was an unconventional Jesuit Priest and Roman Catholic, eventually assigned to China due to his unconventional beliefs. As a philosopher he made interesting speculations regarding social evolution, including ideas about the development of something similar to what we now call the Internet.

He believed that humankind had reached a point where they had to evolve themselves socially or die, and that this social evolution would give birth to a virtual world mind.

That is a VERY rough and ready summary, missing out the bits I don't like (like rocks being part of the world mind). I find it an interesting set of ideas to discuss.

For example, this statement;

"My starting point is the fundamental initial fact that each one of us is perforce linked by all the material organic and psychic strands of his being to all that surrounds him."

... and;

"If we look far enough back in the depths of time, the disordered anthill of living beings suddenly, for an informed observer, arranges itself in long files that make their way by various paths towards greater consciousness."

To me this is an ace statement, perhaps more elegantly phrased by Martin Luther King as 'The slow curve of humanity is towards justice", (I might be paraphrasing slightly).

He stipulated that biological entities evolved into more complex entities and that these became aware;

"Man discovers that he is nothing else than evolution become conscious of itself. The consciousness of each of us is evolution looking at itself and reflecting upon itself."

... and;

"the power acquired by a consciousness to turn it upon itself, to take possession of itself as of an object endowed with its own particular consistence and value: no longer merely to know, but to know oneself; no longer merely to know but to know that one knows.

This is pivotal to his belief that an evolution conscious of itself could also direct itself AND its own evolution. He used the word noogenesis for this, Greek for 'Soul Birth'.

He saw science as an essential part of this, starting as isolated activities of individuals but now;

"Today we find the reverse: research students are numbered in the hundreds of thousands-soon to be millions-and they are no longer distributed superficially and at random over the globe, but are functionally linked together in a vast organic system that will remain in the future indispensable to the life of the community."

One could even argue he conceived the Internet;

"And here I am thinking of those astonishing electronic machines (the starting-point and hope of the young science of cybernetics), by which our mental capacity to calculate and combine is reinforced and multiplied by the process and to a degree that herald as astonishing advances in this direction as those that optical science has already produced for our power of vision."

He was not a souless intellectual, as he didn't see this as a process of just intellectual learning;

"It is not our heads or our bodies which we must bring together, but our hearts. . . . Humanity. . . is building its composite brain beneath our eyes. May it not be that tomorrow, through the logical and biological deepening of the movement drawing it together, it will find its heart, without which the ultimate wholeness of its power of unification can never be achieved?"

... and for me another extremely good thought;

"We have reached a crossroads in human evolution where the only road which leads forward is towards a common passion. . . To continue to place our hopes in a social order achieved by external violence would simply amount to our giving up all hope of carrying the Spirit of the Earth to its limits."

I find his arguements interesting. The development of the Internet will likely be seen as a time as defining as the development of movable type. Nowadays, one can access information in seconds, minutes or hours, that would have taken hours, days and weeks before. Knowledge is there for people who want it, not reserved for elite groups.

This network also means that people can communicate socially in a way they never did before. Look at the activity in Discussion Groups on the 11th of September. Look at the activity here. And the Internet, as most of us know it, isn't even ten years old.

Through means of a technological development, we are evolving socially. Yes, it's happened before, but movable type, bicycles and telephones did not become as common as quickly as the Internet has, or involve making informational or social transactions with diverse people as readily available as the Internet does. It is what de Chardin called an Omega Point. The development of a noosphere, an overlying conscienceness of the world, comprising not just of the shakers and the movers, but you, me, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody (with Internet).

Just as Information Technology is affecting our social evolution, it could be in 100 years time the at least partial stalling of the biological evolutionary process (due to Society rightly protecting the less able, and thus allowing them to have children, assuring the continuation of any genes that may have lead to them being less able) will end, as people growing up in the GM age will think nothing of having myopia excised from their children's genome, or whatever other genetic nasty that might be lying there.

The social evolution seems to be almost unavoidably beneficial. We are all, basically, very much the same. Being able to sample that in a understandable fashion will lead to a greater unity and consensus.

Further biological evolution by technological means will be very, very problematical unless it is proceeded by social evolution that would make such a thing harmless. Otherwise we have the eugenic speculation of the early part of the 20th Century becoming true a Century later, with all the nightmarish potential for harm.

Here's some sources for de Chardin;
    http://www.december.com/cmc/mag/1997/mar/cunning.html
    http://www.interfaithfellowship.org/oncourse/articles/philosophers/dechard.htm
    http://www.crosscurrents.org/chardin.htm
    http://www.sacredcenters.com/articles/noosphere.html
    http://www2.gol.com/users/coynerhm/teilhard.html

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Consciousness?

• Celtic
    Celtic

I've got one of his books here, bit of a wade through, but he makes quite a lot of sense, enjoy them leastways, reccomended read for those who believe in pushing they grey matter.

Spliffage forth and kind and best wishes to your girlfriend D'.

Mark

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

The following exerpt is taken from "Ions Noetic Sciences Review" December 2001-February 2002 : "Roger Nelson,PhD is a quiet man with a grand dream: to capture the first glimmerings of global consciousness. His inspiration lies in Teilhard de Chardin's conviction that for the human species, " the only way forward is in the direction of a common passion," for nothing in the universe can ultimately resist "the cumulative ardor of the collective soul." Nelson is Director of the IONS-sponsored Global Consciousness Project(GCP), an international collaboration of scientists, artists, and citizens interested in the extraordinary aspects of human consciousness.....According to Nelson, "We are at a critical time in history, facing the necessity to transform our civilization into one that can survive by taking responsibility for our ominous potential to destroy the world we love--but wich we take for granted. I believe the GCP has a role to play by focusing an illuminating technological perspective on our deep interconnections to each other and to the Earth." The Global Consciousness Project website can be accessed through a link on IONS' website under "Research." www.noetic.org

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

He ain't no Al Gore, but I reckon he's smart enough.

Actually, I'm impressed. He seems a man far ahead of his time. In fact, I wonder if his time won't arrive for a few hundred years yet.

Teilhard? Is that frank for "hard-ass"?

• Celtic
    Celtic

Thankyou for the link Siddha', anything that assists in enabling the understanding of human collective consciousness, always very interested to share.

Peace

Mark

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Abbadon,

Thank you for your post.

Teilhard De Chardin, as you note was an extraordinary visionary, I have been had a deep respect for his iconoclastic thinking since my youth. His belief in the 'world of man' is a pleasant change from the shackled guilt motivated views of Augustine, which imho have actually moulded Western thinking along irrational and negative lines.

It was Chardin who drove me from an staunchly atheistic stance to Theism, in my early more revolutionary years as a threadbare student!

I would highly recommend his work, 'The Phenomenon Of Man', which seeks to provide a logical synthesis between science and the spirit.

Best regards - HS

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Siddhashunyata; I see the social evolution of Homo sapiens as a logical concequence, not as the magical linking of minds in Unity. I think you might be more interested in the spiritual aspects, which are ill-definable and not suited to the gaze of science. But that is a supposition based on very little data, so please correct me if I am wrong.

SixofNine; is that a coincidence, or did you know Al Gore likes de Chardin?! He does seem to have looked ahead more than most though...

Celtic; remember, Abaddon Towers in Tilburg is more than happy to put you up for the weekend sometime.

hilary_step; I find I am still as much of an atheist as I have ever been, but find most of my objections to 'god' are semantic and doctrinal.

There can be a god, depending on what you mean by god. All you have to do is believe.

The Judaeo-Christo-Islamic diety is horrid, even if the sayings attributed to Jesus are quite nice, but why should that put me off other conceptions of 'god'?

I'm not talking about a creator, or something with a personality, maybe not anything external, and the word 'god' is baggage ridden. Thus I am an atheist.

But I believe that spirituality, as in non-provable, faith-based, imaginative constructs of reality, is important, perhaps not to all but perhaps to me.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Abby (sorry, couldn't help myself), Al Gore was chided heavily for suggesting that he had invented the internet a few years back. Actually, I think some of his words were taken out of context a bit, but he did have a knack for putting his foot in his mouth.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

ABBADON- Thankyou for clarifying your position. I am trying to understand the nature of existential experience. Much of what is termed "spiritual" and "magical", is being now looked at scientifically. Catagorically speaking, it might be called the "science of consciousness." There is a problem with this approach because science can only approach the "thing" because of the conceptualization process itself. Words and symbols only can "point" the way. Once the "thing" is found,even the search becomes obsolete or irrelevant. I am not religious. I am looking for metaphors of existential "confrontation" rather than "metaphors of existential "consolation". This requires a method to be investigated and tried out. The extent to which this practice has been institutionalized as a religion can be guaged by the number of consolatory elements that have crept in: for example, assurances of a better afterlife if you perform virtuous deeds or recite mantras or chant. I eschew atheism as much as theism but my stance is not based on disinterest. To deny either God or meaning is simply the antithesis of affirming them. I'm confronting the enormity of having been born instead of reaching for the consolation of a belief. Looking closer at Teilhard one may see that the "social evolution of Homo sapiens is a logical consequence but the final state of society is a sense of "Oneness" not based on conceptual agreements or science but, on awarness of the true nature of existential experience. It will be a society that is "Awake".(no pun intended) Respectfully, there is a great deal of confusion on this board and I don't want to add to it. I thought this side of things needed more representation because it is a way to end suffering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit