How many JW's left after the 1925 debacle?

by middleman 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

If I remember rightly was it not soon after the 1925 failure that the idea of "men of goodwill" was abandoned?

Previously it had been believed that "Millions" would survive armageddon, not only members of the Bible Students. There was a landmark Watchtower around this time when Rutherford went hard-line. Essentially it was around then that it took the final step into cult status. From now on it was to be taught that only JWs as they became would survive the big A.

I remember an old sister in Coatbridge in Scotland talking about it when I was a young 'un. Apparently they all found it hard to accept and the majority left. I came a cross a few of "the evil slave class" as Rutherford labelled them when going door to door in the 70s.

Can't remember the title of that Watchtower?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One minor point in the interest of accuracy: there were NO JWs in 1925. The ternm wasn't invented until 1931. In 1925, they were all Bible Students.

Despite what the WTB&TS says with their weasel-words, the effect of the 1925 failure on the Bible Students was devastating. Many did not leave immediately but experienced a crisis of conscience and left a few years later.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Many did not leave immediately but experienced a crisis of conscience and left a few years later.

Just like 1975.

A little off topic, but it did occur to me how few people were there at the time to support the lavish life style of Judge Rutherford.

• designs
    designs

Nathan, people still seem to get the two groups crossed up. My Mother left the Bible Students who were being run by Rutherford in 1928.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Designs.

I feel that it is important to be as accurate as possible when recounting the history of the WTB&TS.

We KNOW they lie and "spin" things; if we do the same, we're no different from them, and THAT would be very un-apostate-like.

• startingover
    startingover

Cofty,

I think your comments about their achieiving "cult" status at that time are right on. My grandfather got involved in 1910, from what I know of him I firmly believe he was attracted to the pyramid measuring thing, but before his death he made documented comments that he was having a hard time with what was going on. He happened to be close friends with one of Rubberfarts henchmen, which I firmly believe accounted for him being among the 25% that remained after the 1925 debacle. But as the numbers Leolaia posted shows, the numbers started to go up shortly after, and I suppose it would be easy, especially if you had a powerful friend, to just go on with it. In my grandfather's case, it appears that it was about 10-15 years before the changes started bothering him.

• designs
    designs

The Bible Students were very conflicted about the changes taking place in the 1920s. Some were strick believers in Russell and only wanted to follow his teachings, and others had been chomping at the bit for years to have their views heard. Several Bible Student Publishing Houses sprang up. Some are still in business.

My Mother was good friends with the two Bible Students who ran the Frank and Earnest Radio Show. There was a lot of nostalgia among many for wanting things to be as they were pre 1916. Very human emotion. Failed predictions and a new harsh and arrogrant president didn't help matters.

• cofty
    cofty

I read a lot of Rutherford's writings during the year that I left. It was fascinating to see him go from a sycophantic attitude towards Russell to the point where he obviously had nothing but contempt for him and his followers. Whole books were written that were nothing more than rants linking Russell's followers to some vague OT prophecy or other.

No wonder so many eventually decided they could take no more. For decades there was not a hint of anything encouraging or upbuilding in anything Rutherford wrote. Perhaps drink and isolation in the mansion played a part in his mood?

• designs
    designs

If he'd only gone to AA meetings it could have turned out better

• dozy
    dozy

The WTBTS are quite dishonest in how they report the figures from the middle of the twenties.

The Proclaimers book implys that the decrease was only in a couple of countries :

Following 1925, meeting attendance dropped dramatically in some congregations in France and Switzerland.

God's Kingdom of 1000 Years is even more dishonest , describing the increase to 1925 as a fulfillment of prophecy & sign of Jehovah's blessing without stating that the number of Bible Students decreased dramatically after this date..

kachap.12pp.236-237pars.54-56Increasing the King’s Belongings The annual celebration of the Lord’s Supper on the following date, Wednesday, April 8, 1925, brought something encouraging to light. Because of the planting, watering and cultivating work that had gone on till then in additional areas of activity, with the newly provided instruments for Kingdom publicity, the number of congregations of disciples with heavenly hopes increased. The membership of congregations increased. So at this celebration of the Lord’s Supper the number of participants therein indicated this growth and production of disciples of Christ. How many, then, did participate that year? The September 1, 1925, issue of TheWatchTower, page 263, under “Memorial Reports,” says: 55

“We are pleased that the number participating in the Memorial is so great, because it manifests much interest in the truth everywhere, and this is as it should be. The grand total reported to date is 90,434, which is 25,329 more than were reported a year ago.”

Truly the “slaves” of Christ, the class pictured by the slave entrusted with “five talents,” and the class pictured by the slave to whom two talents were committed, were prompt and early in ‘doing business’ with them, so as to add other areas that would be fruitful with more disciples of Christ. The published facts prove that these “slaves” were being blessed in their efforts and were rewarded with increase. This encouraged them on still more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit