Thought for the day

by John Doe 58 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Your musings of the heart make perfect sense. They are universal themes felt by all but perhaps not so readily and eloquently expressed. Despite the brain fatigue you experience, your figurative heart beats true ...
    Tell us more

You flatter me. Thanks.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I pledge my allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation, under god, with liberty and justice for all.

Main Entry:
    al·le·giance           Listen to the pronunciation of allegiance
    Pronunciation:
    \?- ' le-j?n(t)s\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English aligeaunce, from Anglo-French allegeance, alteration of ligeance, from lige liege
    Date:
    14th century
    1 a : the obligation of a feudal vassal to his liege lord b (1) : the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen to a sovereign or government (2) : the obligation of an alien to the government under which the alien resides 2 : devotion or loyalty to a person, group, or cause
    Main Entry:
    de·vo·tion           Listen to the pronunciation of devotion
    Pronunciation:
    \di- ' vo-sh?n, de-\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    13th century
    1 a : religious fervor :piety b : an act of prayer or private worship —usually used in plural c : a religious exercise or practice other than the regular corporate worship of a congregation 2 a : the act of devoting <devotion of time and energy> b : the fact or state of being ardently dedicated and loyal <her devotion to the cause> <filial devotion> 3 obsolete : the object of one's devotion Really?
  • John Doe
    John Doe

In a bar in Toledo, across from the depot
    On a bar stool she took off her ring
    I thought I'd get closer so I walked on over
    I sat down and asked her her name
    When the drinks finally hit her she said I'm no quitter
    But I finally quit living on dreams
    I'm hungry for laughter and here ever after
    I'm after what ever the other life brings

In the mirror I saw him and I closely watched him
    I thought how he looked out of place
    He came to the woman who sat there beside me
    He had a strange look on his face
    The big hands were calloused he looked like a mountain
    For a minute I thought I was dead
    But he started shaking his big heart was breaking
    He turned to the woman and said

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
    With four hungry children and a crop in the field
    I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times
    But this time your hurting won't heal

After he left us I ordered more whisky
    I thought how she'd made him look small
    From the lights of the bar room to a rented hotel room
    We walked without talking at all
    She was a beauty but when she came to me
    She must have thought I'd lost my mind
    I couldn't hold her 'cos the words that he told her
    Kept coming back time after time

I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times
    This time your hurting won't heal

I've had some bad times lived through some sad times
    But this time your hurting won't heal

• John Doe
    John Doe

I just finished ordering 4 cherry trees to be shipped to my brother. I got to thinking about how nice it felt to buy something for someone else. Yet, at the same time, my motives are not completely, if any, altruistic. I love cherries. I have no place to grow cherry trees. My favorite cherries are $8 per pound in the grocery store. You do the math. ;-)

I don't know if I'm alone in this feeling, but I feel that things that are tied to nature, such as trees, have a tendency to bind family and friends together. If my brother takes care of these trees, as I'm sure he will, they will be living and producing fruit long after we're dead. That's pretty awesome in my opinion.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Thunder only happens when it's raining.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Picture of weeping Higan tree.

I cannot tell a lie ... I'm weeping for you, Cherry.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I stood on the bare grass by the bus stop watching the neighbor's dog do it's morning business on the lawn. The morning has a crisp and distinct smell, and the late winter sun has a cheering quality. I listen to the traffic noise a block away, waiting for the deep rumble of the bus engine or the high pitched squeal of its brakes. And there it is, braking before it makes the turn onto my street. I glance down at my Timex and note that he's 30 seconds late this morning. He's inevitably 30 seconds late when I'm two minutes early, and two minutes early when I'm 30 seconds late.

The bus pulls up to a stop, and I wait as a young kid comes out the front door. I get in and make my way to an available seat, usually on the front 1/3 where the seats face each other. I'm in a wistful mood, and I note the different kinds of people on the bus. Across from me is an older black bearded gentleman. He doesn't look very prosperous, and he has a sly glance as he looks around the bus. He picks out a young college girl, and goes up and sits by her, striking up conversation. The girl has pulled back, brownish hair and is looking out the window with her hands folded on her knees, dark rimmed glasses on the tip of her nose. The black guy is loud and gregarious, and starts asking her where she's going and what classes she's taking. She, rather uneasily, acts sociable and tells him that she's a psychology major, and he smacks his head, turns away and says "wooowiiiieee." He then starts talking about where he's from and that he's a great grandfather 6 times over.

A couple of isles back, there's an overweight mid twenties white man with a backpack stuffed to the gills with who knows what. He's carrying a plastic bag from Dollar General with some cookies in it. He speaks only a couple of times on the trip, but it's in a very loud and brutish voice that doesn't leave your memory--the voice of the mentally deficient.

On the other side, there's a late teens white man with baggy jeans, dark round sunglasses and a flat brimmed hat. He's sporting IPOD buds hanging from his ears and is bopping along as he looks out the window, I would imagine to something like Eminem.

To my right up at the very front, there's a bag lady. She's overwieght, working her gums, and smells like she hasn't had a shower in a couple of weeks with a faint twist of urine. She pushes a small cart with groceries in it and looks as if she's a million miles away.

And then the bus pulls up to another stop, and it starts to get crowded. College kids are piling in. There's a group of Asian looking people in the midst, two young girls and one young man, and they get on and find a seat next to each other, conversing in some kind of tonal language that I don't comprehend. They are all smiles and full of energy.

Just another typical day on the morning bus ride.

• John Doe
    John Doe

People who wear red lipstick should be under an obligation to clean it off of collars.

• John Doe
    John Doe

We seemed to have reached a new paradigm in the human experience. Those of us fortunate enough to live in leading countries have become immersed in instant gratification as a way of life. Wondering something? Google is a click away. Want a new electronic gizmo? Buy now, squeal later. Want a telephone that has nationwide long distance, a video camera, a still camera, video games, a personal planner, a flashlight, an alarm clock, a calculator, a vibrator, and fits in a shirt pocket? What do you think this would cost, friends? As Bill Cosby would say, "$19.95." Want to watch a stripper? Free and a couple of clicks away.

Where is this lifestyle leading us? When information and gratifcation are at our fingertips at all times and all places, what room is their for contemplation, thoughtful analysis of our world, and retention of that information? What will motivate us when we become so immersed in our wants, so dependant on the technology and know how of others, and so immune from our own follies that we are completely inert and helpless? Furthermore, what does it mean to be a man in such times?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit