EPIPHANY! - was the "wicked generation" meant to be a 'stop-gap' definition?

by still_in74 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still_in74
    still_in74

but remember, they NEEDED to ditch the "1914 Generation"

all I am suggesting is that they needed a quick fix and Freddie wasnt there to spawn a new anti-typical love-child prophecy.

Maybe at the time that was the best they could come up with. I imagine various theories were put on the table and this was the best option available.

I for one, beleive that the suggestion for a return to the Gen=144k was put on the table in 1994 and obviously voted down - possibly in part due to the obvious flip-flop it created

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Maybe the wicked generation is Gen-X which has that evil pagan cross thingy.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't know why they really bother at all. The average Jdub would believe that the moon is made of cotton candy if the GB said so, and would defend that explanation to the death.

Mind numbed robots don't need 'food at the proper time', as much as they need oiled from time to time, which is what all of it is about when it comes to new/old/revised/changed/misunderstood/replaced light. Oil them up and get back on the yellow brick road.

Jeff

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What's amazing to me is that the morons on the writing committee and GB still bother tweaking these ridiculous chronological creeds. Let's face it, the 'flock' obviously just don't give a shit. The 'sheep' don't think about it, don't research it, don't understand it, just don't really care. They just sit there at the meetings week after week, month after month, year after year, and let it all go over their head. Mindless drones.

If you just go with the flow you end up down the creek without a paddle with a waterfall fast approaching.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    EPIPHANY! - was the "wicked generation" meant to be a 'stop-gap' definition?

I don't think they are this smart or devious. They are making this up as they go along and actually believe "current truth".

BTS

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I imagine there were two factors involved:

First, they have to distance themselves from the "generation false prophecy fiasco". As already commented, they becloud and change the whole thing as if they never really "prophecied" about the impending end about a billion times in print and discourse. Do a shell game and hope the dubs forget.

Second, use whatever they can to increase the importance of the FDS. Now, the whole thing is rewritten to state that the "generation thing" just points to the FDS, actually the GB, living on earth until the end... now even closer than the inside of your pants.

Trouble is, they really need to rewrite the "Reasoning" book since it still trumpets the 1914 generation explanation. They could just keep the text as-is, just rename it "Apostate Handbook of JW False Prophecy".

They're chasing their tails.

B the X

• still_in74
    still_in74

they really need to rewrite the "Reasoning" book since it still trumpets the 1914 generation explanation.

i pointed that out to a freind at the meeting a couple weeks ago. We had a part on using the RB and I thought the timing was right.
    "oh, interesting"

Thats about all the response i got........ uhm, its been like 13 years..... - this wouldnt draw too much unwanted attention if we changed it would it?

• watson
    watson

They've waited long enough now so that they only have to make one "generation" change when the re write the Reasoning book. Maybe the 1995 version just wasn't lit well enough.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

A much more important issue facing the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society is their claim that Jesus became King in 1914, thus ending the Gentile Times. The 'generation' teaching pales when placed next to the huge issue of Christ's impotent, almost-100-year reign.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    The 'generation' teaching pales when placed next to the huge issue of Christ's impotent, almost-100-year reign.

interesting point.

although the WT dangled the 120 year pre-flood generation idea back in 2003. Any suggestion that Christs 100 years is too long would certainly genreated a similar response....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit