NIV?

by Rev BII 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Rev BII
    Rev BII

Is it just me or does this strangely popular Bible add a bit to the Word? Here's a 2 small examples.

2 Peter 2:9 - if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.(NIV)

2 Peter 2:9 - then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trial, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, (RSV)

2 Peter 2:9 - the Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment unto the day of judgment; (ASV)

Galatians 1:8 - But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! (NIV)

Galatians 1:8 - But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. (RSV)

Galatians 1:8 - But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema. (ASV)

God Bless

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I am not too surprised that you found inconsistencies in the bible translations/versions. Simply put there is no such thing as a 100% accurate bible. Most bibles are close enough, and I guess that is all that matters to most christians anyway.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

Rev -
    So, do you prefer the KJV? Let's cut to the chase. Usually the ones I hear talk negatively about the NIV are those that state that the KJV is the best translation going.

Let me just say, as a christian, I find the arguements over which translation is better (niv or kjv) is a mute point. When you grow up reading the NWT, ANY translation, including the Living Bible is a better version. The light of God shines thru all the three translations you mentioned in your post.

By the way, one of the people who helped in the translation of the NIV is a professor at our local bible college. The college church is a Christian Missionary Alliance church. There have been all sorts of rumors about the translators, including her. Those that are so pro KJV have even accused her of being a loose woman. Some think that by discrediting the translators by telling untruths strengthens their arguements. If I had my way, I would have a bunch of athiests translating a bible. That way no exegenesis would be involved in translation.

ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/ Dogma
  • Yadirf
    Yadirf

Ofcmad

Let me just say, as a christian, I find the arguements....
    YOU? "A Christian"??? First you don't even have enough respect for the word Christian so as to capitalize it, and then, by saying in your "signature" that he was a "drunk", you show disrespect for one of the Bible's characters whom for a solid 500 years even before the Flood "walked with God", whom the Bible itself said was a "righteous man" and "proved himself faultless among his contemporaries".

Like I said: "YOU? A Christian???" Would you like to hear what I would call you? Hint: It doesn't start with the letter "C"!

Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

Yardif ---
    You are the poster boy for the ignorant. I don't expect you to see the message behind the quote. You would rather take things at face value instead of trying to understand them. I think that is why you are a good JDub.

YOU? "A Christian"??? First you don't even have enough respect for the word Christian so as to capitalize it,
    I think that you should concentrate on YOUR "salvation". Afterall, mine is secured. If you judge my spirituality by capitalization or lack there of, of a word, then you have some major problems. That is a really petty arguement.

Would you like to hear what I would call you? Hint: It doesn't start with the letter "C"!
    To be honest, I do not care what you think of me. The only opinion I hold in reverence is God's.

Just remember this one thing Yadirf - You can be saved. One, accept Christ as your savior, accept you are a sinner, ask Him to come into your heart, and beleive he died and is now ALIVE!.

ofcmad
    (if i don't capatilize my name ofcmad, does that mean i'm not her?)

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/ Dogma
  • siegswife
    siegswife

If you think that's bad, here's what Yardirf's bible says:

2Peter 2:9 Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial, but reserve unrighteous people for the day of judgment to be cut off.

1Corinthians 1:8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit