Any suggestions on a Bible and a Bible commentary?

by DB 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

NWT is a poor Bible. We prefer the New International Version. Most accurate and easy to read.

You will be hard pressed to find any Bible that doesn't have an "agenda" of sorts. The witness theology is rampant in the NWT, and they added the divine name, to the Greek Scriptures. It does not appear in any of the manuscripts.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Rev BII
    Rev BII

Skeptic, great post.

The NIV is horible. It's manipulated towards hell and no millenium reign doctrines. It's should be burned.

I love the ASV. It uses Gods name in the OT too. The RSV is great too. Jerusalem Bible is great too but not handy.

God Bless

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I really enjoy the RSV and Jerusalem. The Living Bible is fun to read sometimes too, but I refuse to throw my NWT away for research reasons. My most used bible is the NIV. It's easy to understand, but mostly because it has all of my notations on the side. I don't want to get a new bible and start over.

Andi

• RR
    RR

Although I use the New King James, because all the great commentaries are KJV geared, by far the best translation is Rotherham's. Today it is called the "Emphasized Bible." And many scholars put it on top. Commentaries? McClintock and Strongs! YOu can but the sets for a few hundred dollards or get the new CD version.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I didn't mean the NIV, but the New Living Translation. NIV isn't terrible, but the NLT is really good.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• mikepence
    mikepence

My translation is more accurate than yours! And I should know, because I am a whitebread honky from America!

Nah nah nah!

XJW User Submitted News & Views at http://xjwnews.com

• DB
    DB

Hey guys/gals, thanks for the excellent suggestions!!

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Rev BII,

I enjoyed your post as well. It looks like we see eye-to-eye on Bible translations.

Richard

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The New Revised Standard Version and the Revised English Bible are both ecumenical and excellent translations. The New Jerusalem Bible is another good translation. The Anchor Bible, which is a translation and commentary, is another ecumenical Bible. I found it very helpful. Unfortunately when completed it will be over 50 volumes, not the kind of Bible you can easily carry to church or Bible study.

Happy Holidays,

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit