people resurrected not able to marry

by jennybear 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

BluesBrother, as far as I know that is still the stand the Society takes. The first Sunday meeting I went to after my dad died, this was the talk, go figure! My mother was late, as usual, and we had to sit right up at the front. My mother had several meetings with the elders after this because she couldn't understand how "God" could be so cruel as to keep them apart like that in the "New System". I think she still struggles with that concept, but the only thing keeping her going is the thought that she will atleast beable to be his "friend" even if she can't be his wife.

• yknot
    yknot

Of course in JWism there are three resurrections........

Firstfruits.....

Millennial Reign........

After Millennial Reign.....

So since the article mentions the removal of death from the population .... marriages ""seems evident"" to be kaput after the MR.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I remember when the teaching was that those resurrected would not be allowed to marry. Period full stop. There was never a reason given as to why exactly, just that it was "Jehovah's will".

I have no idea what the current thought is. But they don't seem to make much of an effort to use the Bible nowadays so who knows.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I wonder why JW's would wait till after Armegeddon to marry, according to the WT, the resurrected won't marry,

only JW's will survive Armegeddon, so the same JW's available now to marry will be available after Armegeddon.

oh yeah, they will be perfect then.

purps

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

According to Wtbs there will be two groups of people (this was when I was interned by them)

One group would be those survivors through the great tribulation, that would still be married.

The other group having been loyal till death (even postponing having children)

These ones would not be allowed to pick up where death intervened.

Looks a bit dodgy to me, and one of many questions that the Glorious ones could not answer.

Even the answer that Jesus gave on this subject still causes problems.

KT

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

The societies comment in the ‘Insight’ volumes about marriage is quite interesting as they pretty much quote just what the bible says but it brings up a point that not many JW’s have considered. This is the small paragraph on the topic:-

Marriage andtheResurrection. A group of Jesus’ opponents who did not believe in the resurrection asked Jesus a question that was calculated to embarrass him. In answering them, he revealed that “those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.”—Lu 20:34, 35; Mt 22:30.

That is as much as it says. But the interesting point with that text is that it is not just people who are resurrected that don’t marry. As the text clearly points out “those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things” won’t be able to marry either. The question would be, ‘who are these ones’? When you put this point to a JW they will say that this is in reference to the anointed. But if that is the case then the reference to the resurrection also applies to the anointed, else you have two different destinies in the same sentence. So which one is it…???

Now if the destination is heavenly then the question of the resurrection on earth is open ended and no one knows for sure. But if the scripture is referring to the ‘earthly hope’ then as far as I can make out from that biblical text it says that not only is it that the resurrected won’t marry, but also the single people who make it into the new system won’t be able to marry either. That is what that text clearly says. So now following on from Purps point a little, those people who are putting off marrying till the new system might be in for a bit of a surprise when they get there and find out that they “neither marry nor are given in marriage”.

Luckily it is all bullshit and not worth worrying about. But it is fun to show this to current JW’s and watch the surprise on their faces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit