Don't become a scientist!

by VM44 25 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Another thing the writer of this article doesn't bring out is the huge need for scientists to teach in the secondary school system. These jobs can pay better than entry-level jobs as a fulltime lecturer or even a tenure-track faculty position. In other words, just because you might not find a tenure-track position at a university doesn't mean you have to go scrounging around as a postdoc. You may not have time to do research, but then again neither will you likely have time for a lot of research as a younger professor.

• VM44
    VM44

I think this article is mainly oriented towards jobs in physics, which are indeed hard to get.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The article is "Don't become a scientist," so I don't think he was just targeting phsysics teachers. Regardless, if you read the listing for Physicists on the DOL's Occupational Outlook handbook, it doesn't look that bad: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos052.htm

Median annual earnings of physicists were $94,240 in May 2006.

The average annual starting salary offer to physics doctoral degree candidates was $52,469. The American Institute of Physics reported a median annual salary of $80,000 in 2006 for its members with Ph.D.’s (excluding those in postdoctoral positions) who were employed by a university on a 9-10 month salary; the median was $112,700 for those who held a Ph.D. and worked at a federally funded research and development center; and $110,000 for self-employed physicists who hold a Ph.D.

In recent years the number of doctorates granted in physics has been somewhat greater than the number of job openings for traditional physics research positions in colleges and universities and in research centers. Recent increases in undergraduate physics enrollments may also lead to growth in enrollments in graduate physics programs, so that there may be an increase in the number of doctoral degrees granted that could intensify the competition for basic research positions. However, demand has grown in other related occupations for those with advanced training in physics. Prospects should be favorable for physicists in applied research, development, and related technical fields.

Employment of physicists and astronomers is expected to grow at 7 percent, about as fast as the average for all occupations during the 2006-16 decade. The need to replace physicists and astronomers who retire or otherwise leave the occupation permanently will account for many additional expected job openings. [...] limited science research funds available still will result in competition for basic research jobs among Ph.D. holders.

So basically, it states that overall, demand for physicists will remain steady, earnings are pretty good, but, as always, there will be competition for purely research jobs. I think in any field the demand for pure research positions is high--after all, you get a PhD because you want to do your own research. So if you're not willing to branch out and go into some applied fields it may be difficult.

• Kudra
    Kudra

cameo's post is actually hilarious

Scientific correlations.

Be a scientist and die from getting hit on the head with a champagne cork. Or from a needle laced with ebola virus.

Die a rock-star death: become a scientist.

WTwizard's post? ... just a little weird.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Kudra,

WTwizard's post? ... just a little weird.

I'm glad you said this, I was begining to think it was just me who thought his/her posts were a little on the strange side.

• VM44
    VM44

Have the prospects for scientific jobs improved over the last two years?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit