This movie makes me sick!

by compound complex 19 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Lovers of Cinema Verite:

I first became aware of this technique when viewing The Bourne Ultimatum, particularly in a scene where Jason and Nikki, on the run in some sun-drenched North African coastal city lousy with assassins, are finally sitting still in a stifling, airless apartment, conversing in subdued tones. Actually, they were NOT sitting still ...

I had no idea why the pro with the camera had such a bad case of the shakes. Now I know. Hard on mine eyes, harder still on my delicate stomach.

My sailing the waters off Australia was an inner-ear breeze by comparison.

CC

Shaky camera is a cinematographic technique where stable image techniques are dispensed with on purpose. It gives a film sequence an ad-hoc, news, or documentary feel. It suggests unrehearsed filming of reality in a situation where stable image techniques cannot be applied (this situation may or may not really apply). Thus a sense of dynamics is provided at the cost of the traditional objective of showing as "well" as possible the people/objects/action being filmed.

Several movies have been criticized for excessive shaky camera technique. The second and third installments of the Bourne action movie franchise directed by Paul Greengrass have been categorized as such. [ 2 ] Indeed, many people report that shaky camera in the Bourne series has reached beyond distraction, to the point of inducing nausea. [ 3 ] The same applies for the films Cloverfield (2008) [ 4 ] , Friday Night Lights (2004) [ 5 ] .

Perhaps the most famous film to use the shaky camera technique is The Blair Witch Project (1999). The technique was intended to make the film look like amateur camera footage. In many theaters, this was so severe that staff were ordered to hand out motion sickness bags to those who wished to see the movie. [citation needed [wikipedia.org ... Shaky Camera]

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

WOW...........(remembering the many miserable moments of suffering motion sickness as a little girl in the back seat of a car)

• Casper
    Casper

I totally agree, CoCo.

Movies like that make me physically ill. I didn't last 10 min. with the movie "Cloverfield".

Even the previews of "The Blair Witch Project" affected me.

Cas

• Satanus
    Satanus

I found the camera shaking irritating in bourne 3. As well, other action movies w fights scenes use the techinique heavily. It hides the crappy fighting moves. As well, they use a low light level to hide crappiness.

S

• White Dove
    White Dove

Thanks for the warning. I can't handle any more movement than was used on Twilight. There were shaky camera scenes in that one but it wasn't bad at all. I won't be watching the movies listed in this thread, that's for sure!

• White Dove
    White Dove

NYPD Blue uses shaky camera masterfully. It's perfect for emphasizing realism. That show didn't make me sick, either.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Sunny, Cas, Satanus and White Dove, for your comments.

On a related side note, I'm amazed at how you wonder about something for which there appears no ready or available explanation, then type in a few words in a search engine (all right ... Google!) that you think might explain the concept, and VOILA! All this detailed information has been out there long before my brain existed.

CoCo

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I saw the Bourne Ultimatum and wasn't bothered by it, that i can remember. What bothered me was that it wasn't a good movie...lol.

In the two years or so following the Blair Witch movie, the shaky camera thing got way out of hand, especially in commercials, where there'd be a shaky-as-hell camera on a person's face, then it would suddenly and for no reason pan hard left, or down to the speakers hands, and then back to the face, go out of focus, then back into focus... Those commercials annoyed me almost as much as the Rx ads of the past few years. I've also recently noticed a lot of lip-synching in commercials where you're not supposed to notice but god it's so obvious, and it eats a piece of my soul every time I see one.

Dan, easily annoyed by goofy advertising trends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Interesting to note that the women who responded to this thread report nausea. The men just found it distracting and annoying.

-Aude. (of the motion-sensitive class)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dan:

Watch out for anything that eats at your soul! It can be positively eviscerating.

Thanks!

Interesting to note that the women who responded to this thread report nausea. The men just found it distracting and annoying.

-Aude. (of the motion-sensitive class)

I, CoCo Le Guy, as originator of this thread and not a respondent per se, used the nausea element as a literary device. We fellows are tough, no matter how harrowing the high-seas adventure ...

Thank you!

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit