Sorry, I need your help

by wobble 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Hi Wobble,

I served in another country for several years while pioneering. I returned to the States just a few years ago. I was surprised at the number of missionaries from other religions that I met while preaching abroad. And like Ynot said, they not only preached but also ran charitable organizations that greatly benefited the locals.

When I recommended that we (the JWs) did something similar, I was told by Gilead missionaries that we were there to preach and not provide charity.

That were several other comments that they made that caused me to seriously question the whole religion. Unfortunately most witnesses are not exposed enough to the world around them to know they are not the only ones that preach worldwide, don't celebrate christmas and preach abstinence till marriage.

• Farkel
    Farkel

This might help. It is an article I wrote called "The Search For a Paradise Earth." Biblically, a paradise earth as taught by the WTS cannot be sustained.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/89694/1/The-Search-For-a-Paradise-Earth

Farkel

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Now I know other religions teach a kingdom on earth,but she will say they don't preach that worldwide.

Wobble, they don't necessarily call it "paradise Earth" as yet, but the worldwide movement is an interfaith "green (green spirit)" eco-religion ...to clean up the planet and be good stewards of natural resources. In essence, I suppose they are focusing on the "restoration work" without using the dub buzz words...yet.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Paradise earth is a different gospel than was preached by 1st century christians. They preached the believing in jesus for forgiveness of sins, and the kingdom of HEAVEN, not earth. Check it out in your bible. Paule cursed people who preached another gospel than his.

S

Ps, it's better for your self esteem, if you don't start a thread w an apology.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Some good points above, although not all are likely to be appreciated by a faithful one. ...I have the same argument put to me. It goes like this.

"The bible says, Matt 24 14 that 'This good news of the kingdom will be preached.........' Now, who else is doing this except J W's ? They are fulfilling prophecy"

However, as an "appeal to authority" the argument is fatally flawed. Think about it, the scripture is not specific - it does not, by itself identify J W's as the fulfillment. It is them that claim that honour. They say that the scripture is talking about their message of destruction and a future paradise for themselves.

So you can take a scriptural passage, explain it in your own unique way, then tell your hearers that you are obviously right because nobody else is proclaiming the same message, so you must be the "chosen one" entrusted with the sacred secret.....You are your own authority, because you say it then it is"truth".

It is notable that vs 11 warns against "false prophets will arise and mislead many", so if the Witness is person who will at least consider the idea that more evidence is required than the WTS own statements, then they should look further for corroboration, but there are not many of those about..!

• besty
    besty

before any discussion agree on a premise or two

in this case mine would be:

"Do you believe it is possible to have a happy fulfilled live without being a Jehovahs Witness?"

If they concede this is possible then proceed with any of the suggestions as above - (paradise earth as found <NOT> in the NWT is a good one - you would assume an omniscient universe creator could have seen to it that his main teaching would at least be captured somewhere as a phrase?)

If they won't concede the premise then I would walk away.

• wobble
    wobble

Many thanks to all who replied,helpfull stuff!

I don't think I'll have much success in getting her to wake up,she has pioneered for over forty years,but at least I will be able to express how the things that convince her don't begin to impress me ,in a way that might stop her using the same arguments again.

Many thanks again!

love

Wobble

• Satanus
    Satanus

We used to preach that the generation of 1914 would not pass away until all those things in mt24 including the end of the world came to pass. Since she has been in for many yrs, she preached that herself. Even so, she may not remember it. A false gospel, courtesy of the wt corp.

S

• sspo
    sspo

There are more than 4 billions on earth that have not been preached to by the witnesses and the society has no intention of sending missionary

where they might end up dead or in jail.

Just ask her to show you from the New Testament who was preaching a paradise earth in the 1st century?

• parakeet
    parakeet

I wonder how many dub missionaries it would take to equal the charitable work done by one Catholic missionary -- Mother Teresa.

I wonder how many dub missionaries are in China and the Middle East, the homes of billions of people.

I wonder how many dub missionaries have the courage to go there.

I wonder how many dub missionaries have enough faith in their Jehovah to go "where the need is great."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit