"HELP!" -- where is everyone's assertiveness?

by LDH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

I only stop in casually once or twice a week. Without fail there is a thread on the first page that starts with this line,

"HELP!!!! MY (fill in the blank) is trying to (fill in the blank) !!!!!"

It is so baffling.

People are posting about issues which they know crosses a line, but which they are not able to protect themselves or their loved ones from. This I think, is the reason the JW religion and similar are so full of 'victims' rather than survivors. Frankly it's disturbing to see people who feel so helpless about basic everyday situations where others are trying to take their power. It's not like someone has posted, "Help, there's a nuclear bomb going off, how do I minimize radiation?"

Here's some basic definitions of the terms assertive, passive, and aggressive and some simple exercises to determine who you are, and how to move forward with being assertive.

Definitions

Aggressive

Aiming to win regardless of the other person.

Standing up for your rights in such a way that the rights of others are violated.

Putting others down to make you seem better than they are.

Manipulating others, including tricking them, seducing them, or getting your revenge in

subtle ways.

Deriding, humiliating, belittling or overpowering others in order to win.

Assertive

Expressing true feelings thoughts and beliefs.

Feeling in control of what you say and do.

Standing up for your rights, choices and feelings in a way that doesn’t threaten others

or violate their rights.

Assessing a situation and making clear choices about the appropriate way to behave.

Passive

Having difficulty standing up for yourself.

Avoiding conflict or confrontation.

Giving up responsibility for yourself – not making decisions for yourself.

Playing the victim or martyr.

Not expressing honest and true feelings or thoughts.

Role-Play

It would useful to the participant(s) to have experience of an aggressive, passive and

assertive response for different situations and to be aware of what outcome each type of

response could lead to.

This would demonstrate that the assertive response usually gives a much better chance

of you getting what you want whilst considering other people’s feelings and needs.

Here are 8 examples of situations that could be used for role-play or discussion

to demonstrate the 3 different responses. You may wish to think of other situations

relevant to the participant(s).

You’re waiting in a shop to be served and someone pushes in front of you.

What do you say/do?

You’re at a party and your boyfriend/girlfriend suggests going upstairs for sex,

saying “If you loved me you would". You don’t want to. What do you say/do?

You want to have sex. You suggest using a condom but your partner refuses.

What do you say/do?

You’re queuing up to get into a club. A crowd of people approaches you and one

of them offers you an illegal drug. They are very persistent and you don’t want to

buy it. What do you say/do?

You and your mates are in town and you’re doing the driving. They’re pretty drunk

and keep pestering you with alcohol. “Go on, have another one you’ll be fine.

You can hold your drink." What do you say/do?

Your work mate suggests stealing something from the workplace. You’re scared

you might get caught. What do you say/do?

Your boss asks you to do overtime. You’ve already made plans and you

don’t need the money. Your boss tries to insist that only you can do the job.

What do you say/do?

You’re with your mates and they suggest going to a club, but you want to go home

for an early night as you have an interview the next day. What do you say/do?

http://www.career-productions.co.uk/PDFs/Life%20Tracks%20IYC%2015.pdf

I believe there are posters here to learn from to help you be more assertive in your life.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

OK, if you think I should be more assertive, I'll give it a shot...

• LDH
    LDH

Well I think that's great, but I didn't have anyone in mind, just a general observation over a couple of months.

• wobble
    wobble

Cheers LDH,

I am sure the points you make will be helpfull to many,but sometimes we ask advice of our good friends on here to help us in areas we have no experience of.

For example I am trying to "fade" from the WTS (I think I may have blown that at the Weekend,I lost it with my Super-dub sister,but thats for another thread).

I found the cool advice on how to do it so helpfull and supportive (thanks to all!) but I am willing and able to assert myself when called so to do,but thanks again for posting,it may keep some of the "Fluff" type threads down to a minimum.

Love

Wobble

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Just a joke LDH... I agree wit' ya.

Sorry, my humor's drier than my.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

i with drawl my previous comment

• LDH
    LDH

I found the cool advice on how to do it so helpfull and supportive (thanks to all!) but I am willing and able to assert myself when called so to do,but thanks again for posting,it may keep some of the "Fluff" type threads down to a minimum.

Love

Wobble

Hi Wobble,

I haven't really been active on this board, and it looked like a new pattern to me. Wasn't sure if it was newbies, but wanted to remind people, especially the ladies, that predators know exactly who makes a good victim. So don't be a victim. Assert yourself.

don't let these creeps touch you, insult you, intimidate you.

LDH.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've been trying to read it for the longest time, but I can't make out the words.

Thank you.

Sylvia

• LDH
    LDH

"you've just won ten million dollars!"

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oh!!!

LOL. I would probably faint, too.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+