JW reading bible at bank

by dogon 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Leave it at home read it in private...pleeease!

::::::::::::::

Oh no! I won't let a Cumbrian tell me what to read where; this ain't 1984 yet, this ain't Stalinism. I read what I want to read where I want to read it.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

A JW reading a bible at a bank isn't controversial.

Unless it's a blood bank.

• Latte
    Latte

Hey! TheOldHippie...LOL Got sumfin against Cumbrians then? LOL got you fooled there then! (By the way i do hope that you are keeping well, good to see you posting!)

Oh no! I won't let a Cumbrian tell me what to read where; this ain't 1984 yet, this ain't Stalinism. I read what I want to read where I want to read it.

I think I may of answered looking at it thro' JW eyes (gasp) I stand by that it looks 'self rightous' and I do feel that it is almost on par with praying in public.

I was recently in S'bucks enjoying a lurvly coffee, when I noticed a young lady sat very comfortably with her legs crossed, reading what was a very worn Bible....I don't know what impression these people hope to give...maybe they hope it will start a 'god/bible based conversation with someone - which would be a typical JW tactic. Maybe they just like reading the bible...whatever...

I still would prefer people read it at home...

Just my opinion...this is not meant to be law! LOL

• steve2
    steve2
    Worldlies reading National Enquirer don't go around claiming to be God's perfect chosen people who happen to be the best employees in all of world history, while having God's mouthpiece on Earth writing same in God's special periodicals.
    Not that this is the biggest issue about jws.......and it really does not affect our lives in any way.........but it is another, albeit small, example of hypocrisy.

In answer to your subsequent LOL question, rebel8: This is where you said it. As I said, it was good to some sense of proportion.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

At the banks I worked at the tellers made a lot more than $8. an hour. I started out at $10. an hour and that was in 1980..I later became a account rep so I also got commision..but when I was a teller I would never read a book or anything else personal on company time..only at lunch or break.

Maybe that was from my old JW training to "Give an honest days work"..I figured they were paying me to work for THEM..not to entertain myself. Although it does seem to be the norm today..if someone waits on you right away you feel blessed!..

Snoozy..

• dogon
    dogon

snoozy you are spot on. It is not if someone would rather you read a stupid old book or play a game boy, the thing they always preached was that if you get permission to do it is ok if it does not conflict with bible or society law. I can remember a talk many years ago where the speaker used the analogy that hotels expected you to take the towels. The speaker said that if you thought that then ask, and if it is true they will tell you it is ok. If you do not you are stealing even if it is common practice. Since when did the holy high and mighty dubbers go with "well everyone does it" thinking? I thought they were so different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit