God. Jesus. Afterlife... what is the evidence?

by refiners fire 14 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Josephus did make a point earlier, re:
    Being cured of all problems might lead one to lose compassion for the suffering of others. A very valid thought. I would reply that our purpose is to strive to constantly improve in love for others, striving to overcome our dark sides,personal preferences, totalistic beliefs, personal fears,etc.A BIG ask.
    I am aware that many of the ideas I put forth are somewhat "New Age"
    one thing I like about New Age groups is that they are full of people who are begging the "channel"what they should believe, what they should DO. The channels answer is invariably the same.
    "I cannot tell you what to do, you must decide for yourself".
    Interestingly, most such groups are organized and run by women.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Hollow fairy tales at best, dangerous fodder for humanity's dark side at worst.

Here here! (hear hear?) Well said.

What loving parent could watch their child howling in pain and not even offer a simple, direct "It's okay" ?

The analogy breaks down even before that: many times it simply isn't ok, not by any reasonable standard of "ok". Reassurance is fine, but it isn't a solution.

Being cured of all problems might lead one to lose compassion for the suffering of others
    What suffering of others? If all problems are cured, then they can be cured for everyone.
  • refiners fire
    refiners fire

I referred to the notion of an INDIVIDUAL who was cured of all ills.Not the entire world population.

• uncle jimbo
    uncle jimbo

RF -

I'm confused. you said "I reply that our purpose is to strive to constantly improve in love for others"

Since there is NO afterlife, then I would disagree. Our purpose should be to live as long as possible and have as good of a time as possible since this is IT.

The whole notion of religion is to keep us from misbehaving. Children who disobey their parents go to their rooms; adults who disobey god go to hell. Kind of similiar if you ask me. Honestly, what is the point of "overcoming our dark side" ? We're all worm food one way or the other.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

If there is no afterlife I agree you might as well do what you wish
    in this lifetime. Whether that means doing drugs, raping and pillaging, or, doing works of mercy for the starving, is of course up to the individual to choose.I do not believe anyone one this forum would commend any activity which infringes upon another persons human rights,as for the example of rape and pillage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit