UK Kingdom halls situated in terrible areas

by excito-are 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• excito-are
    excito-are

As some one who who has travelled Britian well, I must make known an observation. Almost all Kingdom halls are in really bad areas. Fron travelling around Scotland I see in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kilbrinie, Bellshill , Hamilton, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, Methil, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness, the Halls are in a terrible place where unemployment is rife, Drug taking common place and just downright poverty and crime is seen. Is this a policy where KH are set up in areas where witnesses arrive and leave seeing the depths of society living and interpret it as the world being in such a bad state? What is it like elsewhere around the ~World?

Excito

• excito-are
    excito-are

I mean, what areas are the Kingdom halls in elsewhere?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Kingdom Halls are built like tombs.

No windows, and wardens that stand guard against your leaving enforce the prison feel of it.

Town planners reserve the grander buildings, whose architecture reflects the aspirations to heaven, for the more prominent beautiful areas.

Why would you build a tomb where the party is?

• read good books
    read good books

Jehovah's witnesses are aimed at the lower class poor in society. That's why the J.W. literature attacks the Catholics so much their competing for the same lower class poor or working poor individuals.

• dozy
    dozy

It certainly isn’t a deliberate WTS policy and there are some Kingdom Halls in very nice areas. The cost of land is obviously a lot higher in better areas & it is often very difficult to get planning permission in a primarily middle class residential neighbourhood. Some of the areas you mention are particularly “deprived” and it would be difficult to locate any desirable site.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In the US, many Kingdumb Hells are in once-safe neighborhoods (but they go downhill quickly once the Kingdumb Hells are built and people start getting hounded and harassed to go for their boasting sessions). Of course, the ones I have seen mostly have windows (though they keep the blinds closed while the boasting sessions are in progress).

• Clam
    Clam

Like Dozy says i think it's more to do with land values, planning considerations and matters like parking. My old Congo was out of the way rather than in a deprived area. In other areas of England where land isn't at such a premium, I've seen Halls in quite nice settings.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I concur with cameo-d's description of many KH's. It's just a curse to be the "center of true worship" at times.

Dismembered

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Where I am, in the boonies, the KHs are in areas that 10 years ago, were REALLY in the sticks. Now they are at the edges with (in both cases near me) a neighborhood on one side and an industrial park or commercial area on the other. When I was exploring my area in the Bronx (20+ years ago)there was a KH that looked like it was in a war zone-and it fit right in with the neighborhood. I didn't go there, but it was a bad area-even for the Bronx. Most of the local churches really looked like a haven in the midst of it all, but they looked as scary as anything. NY property, even in the Bronx, is $$.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Even the Bethel used to be located many years ago in a very bad area of London

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit