SPELLINGE !

by wobble 29 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

I know I am an old fart and a pedant,but things spelled incorrectly STAND OUT, like copy of C.O.C in a Kingdom Hall Library.

I don't think it matters too much say,posting on here,or in life generally,so many people make mistakes,but I do think it detracts from your credibility and your message in important stuff i.e a D.A letter for example,any excuse and Dub's will ignore what you say.

So,is it not worth checking? One word that many on here have a problem with is ApostaSy,often putting a C where the last S should be.

Is having a problem with this word a true example of Irony?

Love

Wobble (of the Punctilious,Fussy,Nit-picking,Pompous,hair-splitting Class) [Who has probably made a glaring mistake in this Post]

• Clam
    Clam

Wobble their are many who have problems with there spelling, but pleas to change have little affect.

Clam

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I aggree wobble and correct use of grammer is helpfull to!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Am I right that the possessive form of 3rd person 'it' is spelled its rather than it's as almost all posters do?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Could it be that Bad Spellers are just a Target Market for the watchtower?

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

My pet peeve - excessive use of an ' with the letter s

For example.."Would you like to see my photo's?" It's photos - it's not a possessive noun just a run-of-the-mill plural!

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Why is it that people are so set on proper spelling and grammar and promote the importance of this, but when it comes to verbal speech, these same ones seem to overlook the same rules that should apply as with spelling and writing..??

I see the point made in the OP but why does writing have to have such stringent rules attached…?? It is purely there as a means of communication, so if people can understand what is being said then that is all that matters surly..?? And what kind of person would conclude that bad spelling nullifies an argument when written..??

Actually I will confess that I am really bad at spelling, and if it wasn’t for the fact that I use a spell check then this post itself would have about a dozen errors in it. Even with a spell check I can spell things wrong. Not being able to write has been the bane of my life (well maybe not quite that bad) being that it not only makes the people that read what you have written wonder about your academic ability, but it also causes the person to question this about themselves also. My problems stem from the fact that I had difficulties when I was a child and those problems have had repercussions for most of my life. Doesn’t make you feel good about yourself.

It is such a shame that this snobbery exists but that is human nature I suppose…

One thing that I will add which was quite funny was something that happened to me the other week. Someone sent me an email ‘funny’ that had all of these misspellings that people had noticed on public signs. I looked through the whole email and wondered what was so humourous.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Spelling is a game. If you wanna play fair, you'll have to follow the rules.

off cours thise rulez are in fluks an mei chandze at anni moment

• DJK
    DJK

Interesting comment regarding the spelling of the word Apostacy/Apostacy. I googled the word and found Wikipedia the only line of the first three pages to spell it with an S.

And how about the lack of a space after a comma?

• poppers
    poppers
    A m I right that the possessive form of 3rd person 'it' is spelled its rather than it's as almost all posters do?

You are correct - that is one that so many people get wrong, and I guess it's kind of understandable. But if people would just stop momentarily and ask themselves if they want to say "it is" they should, hopefully, be able to figure out which spelling to use. If you don't want to say "it is" then don't use the apostrophe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit