A Neglected Revenue Source For California - Marijuana

by Elsewhere 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

A neglected revenue source for California - marijuana

F. Aaron Smith
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Only if you lived in a cave could you avoid news about California's dire financial situation. The governor and legislators still disagree about what to do, but all of the proposals aimed at closing the state's $42 billion budget gap are painful and politically unpopular. One obvious way to take a big chunk out of the deficit - without closing schools or putting the sick and elderly out on the streets - hasn't even been discussed. Tax marijuana.

New sin taxes are likely going to be part of the solution to our financial woes. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed a nickel-per-drink alcohol tax increase last year. More recently, Assemblyman Tom Torlakson, D-Antioch, introduced legislation to tack on an additional $2.10 per pack in cigarette taxes. Yet marijuana, California's largest cash crop, is completely untaxed.

The marijuana crop is valued at $13.8 billion annually - nearly double the value of our vegetable and grape crops combined. Our state is the nation's top marijuana producer. Indeed, the average annual value of our marijuana crop is more than the combined value of wheat and cotton produced in the entire United States.

According to government surveys, 14.5 million Americans use marijuana at least monthly but both the producers and consumers of this crop escape paying any taxes whatsoever on it. While precise figures are impossible given the illicit nature of the market, it is reasonable to suggest that California could easily collect at least $1.5 billion and maybe as much as $4 billion annually in additional tax revenue, if we took marijuana out of the criminal underground and taxed and regulated it, similar to how we handle beer, wine and tobacco.

Marijuana prohibition costs us in other ways as well.

Last year, the state's Campaign Against Marijuana Planting (CAMP) eradicated 2.9 million marijuana plants. CAMP and similar efforts have never made the slightest dentin the availability of marijuana, but they do involve many thousands of person-hours of effort and the use of helicopters and other expensive equipment - all at taxpayers' expense.

It gets worse. Some 70 percent of the plants CAMP seized were on public lands - often remote corners of national forests, parks and other wilderness areas. These clandestine gardens pose a threat to our environment as well as the safety of hikers and other visitors to our parks. Regulating marijuana would remove incentives to grow these secret farms on public land and save millions in eradication and environmental clean-up costs. After all, there's a reason we never hear of criminal gangs planting illicit vineyardsin our national forests.

California's taxpayers are also paying law enforcement officers to arrest marijuanaconsumers. According to FBI statistics, California arrested 74,119 people on marijuanacharges in 2007 - nearly 80 percent of those were for simple possession. Chasing down people for using this plant costs us real money and isn't proving an effective strategy for curbing its use.

Every lost revenue source or misplaced expenditure is another deep cut into public safety, schools, and other essential services. It's time to tax and regulate the state's largest cash crop.

F. Aaron Smith is California policy director for the Marijuana Policy Project (www.mpp.org).

• dinah
    dinah

Gotta love that "war on drug" users

• LDH
    LDH

California should IMMEDIATELY legalize marijuana and tax it. I am for this 100%. However we won't get anywhere unless Barack swears to leave this decision to the will of the states, and not make it a federal issue.

Marijuana is treated the way alcohol was treated in this country in the 20's. Since it was legalized, when is the last time you heard of anyone running Budweiser on the black market? Legalize it, and tax it. Period, nuff said.

• dinah
    dinah

Ummmm, we have bootleggers in the South for when the drunks run out of Budweiser on Sunday.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The private prison industry is booming...
    here is how it comes down:

FACT: In 1865 the 13th Amendment became part of our Constitution, abolishing slavery unless one has been "duly convicted" of a crime.

FACT: In 1870 the National Prison Association was founded in Cincinnati, OH adopting its Declaration of Principles on October 11 of that year.

FACT: In 1954 the name changed form the National Prison Association to the American Correctional Association.

FACT: Since that time, there have been stricter laws put in place on personal freedoms...

FACT: Since that time, private prisons have seen great increase in profits.

FACT: These "private" prisons are owned or invested heavily in by huge corporate entities such as Sodexo Marriott, American Express, General Electric, AT&T, MCI, Sprint, as well as most of the big investment firms.

FACT: Many, (okay, most) of the folk involved in the ACA or who sit on the boards of Corrections Corporation of America, Wackenhut, Avalon Correctional Services, Geo Group, and Cornell Corrections (these are the largest of them) have a history in : the Justice Department, Immigration, Department of Defense, in the Senate, in the military or surprise, surprise...the companies listed above and others who are also involved at some other level with prison labor, prison population or legislation.

FACT: over 1/2 the folks sitting in prison right now--did not hurt anyone...they used or bought or sold or even made a product that someone else wanted to make, use, sell or buy...
    FACT: over 1/2 of these folks in prison right now are African American
    FACT: over 1/2 of these are men aged 21-39

FACT: what has been happening since the formation of this powerful Corrections Industry Lobby Group...should be obvious...no matter what words they are using...

FACT: The American Correctional Association...has the audacity to call their annual planning meeting a "Congress". Well, under my Constitution....WE already have a CONGRESS...

August 2009-Nashville, TN at Opryland the ACA will hold its 139th Annual "Congress" of Corrections...it is the 7th through the 12th....

• LDH
    LDH

Dinah, that's because it's still illegal in certain places on Sunday. No one runs Bud on Wednesday, do they?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Around here on Sunday, bootleggers get double whatever price is paid at the liquor store.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Hey man... that's a great idea... I have to be careful what I say though because I think the cops are monitoring this site... what were we talking about?... Oh yeah... marijuana... that reminds me of a documentary I watched last night about crop circles... it was the UFOs, man!... and aliens built the pyramids... I'm sorry if I seem distracted... I'm typing this on my phone... while driving... but it's okay cuz I'm only driving two miles an hour... hold up... I see a convenience store... I'm going to get some Cheetos and donuts and shit... but I think this is a great idea man!... hell yeah- mary jane!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And just wait until Codex Alimentarius takes effect in this country at the end of the year (strangely, I have not seen recent updates online--I guess they want to wait until it's too late, pass it behind our backs, and start vitamin busts on Jan 1, 2010). That is going to cost more billions (and even trillions) just to go door to door to search for that rogue bottle of vitamin C that is sure to be in everyone's homes, and even more trillions (eventually quadrillions) to run them all through the system. More than 90% of us are going to be in prison, most for possessing a bottle of vitamin C or something stupid like that (or food that hasn't been irradiated).

In the meantime, the big drug companies are going to suck off what little is left after the taxes are paid off. That alone is going to make $4 gas look like a bargain--I would rather see $80 fillups at the pumps than $500 and $1,000 weekly prescription fillups and $60,000 vitamin busts and prison costs.

And that's on top of the money that is now wasted in regular drug busts. Just that would save the taxpayers enough money to close much of the deficit--yet the world rulers insist on making extra work for themselves and our enforcement by passing laws that require door to door busts for a little bottle of vitamin C. Yet they do not want the public to be able to find out what's going on so they can protest it before January 1, 2010.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Since it was legalized, when is the last time you heard of anyone running Budweiser on the black market?

Are you really making an argument that existence of a black market means the product should be legal? I was under the impression you think of yourself as intelligent. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit