Today on Dr Phil: Cults

by Guest with Questions 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I doubt he will talk about JW"s as these are extreme control cults but maybe something could be learned how these cults seduce people into joining.

• blondie
    blondie

Personally, I believe most talk shows like this have no frame of reference when it comes to jws and the WTS. Based on how hard it is for me to convince co-workers and fellow volunteer workers, I can imagine it is even harder to convince a show with legal concerns.

• inkling
    inkling

Mary, you are saying people don't believe you when you say JWs are a cult?

What groups DO people mostly agree are cults then?

[ink]

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Usually the ones that live in communes. And have a single (usually male) leader who is worshipped as the Messiah.

Think David Koresh (sp?) and the FLDS.

• rebel8
    rebel8

ink [reminds me of Tinkerbell every time I see that]

Think prarie skirts, polygamy, Xenu, comets, and Kool Aid.

jws look like mainstream goodie-goodies to the outside world. They hide most of their bizarreness, and they've got a skilled legal department with lots of dough that helps. It's hard to convince the outside world they're anything more than harmless boring people.

ETA: Just read a little on the Dr Phil site. Lots of similarities--abuse, excommunication, cutting off association with nonmembers, living in communes, marrying too young, etc. Yet jws are able to escape most scrunity of this kind because of their skilled secretiveness.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I can hardly stomach Dr Phil's show anymore.

When he started having that preacher T.D. Jakes on, that did me in.

If he did something specifically on JW's I would watch.

purps

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

purps you just jealous.............. td's purple pimp suit is bigger and purple'er than your sofa............

• changeling
    changeling

I hope he does not mention the JW's. If all he did was have a respected expert talk about the characteristics of a cult he might just get JW's out there to listen and perhaps they could put 2+2 together.

The minute any thing negative about JW's is said, or an exJW joins the discussion, JW TV sets will be turned off and any info gleaned will be branded as apostate.

And I agree with blondie, most people do not have the proper frame of reference to speak about JW's in an accurate way.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I saw parts of his show last nite. He was focused on a cult commune near Atlanta, run by a guy who kept moving the theology around, from Moslem to Christian to American Indian and African. He is now in prison for 135 years because of sexual predation on the young people who were there.

You thought we were isolated as JW's? These people left in their 20's and didn't know how to use a phone or drive a car.

Jeff

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I was watching it but turned it off when they started talking about how the relatives had quit eating and drinking..couldn't handle that for some reason.. Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit